Vader - 2013 Oscar Mike JKU - Trail Rig Build

WIW , Just WOW!
Looks awesome !
How does it feel driving ?
Honestly, I went into this with hesitation. While researching you read the good and the bad, but I was scared that it probably wouldn't drive that well and it would be a complete dog even with the 5.38 gears. I have to say I am completely in shock. It drives better than any of my other Jeeps. It's not perfect yet, but its close. It hesitates a little when shifting. I pulled up a GPS app this morning and noticed my miles per hour was off significantly. Jeep said I was doing 50, GPS said I was actually doing 65. So I need to go back into the computer and check the info I thought I entered. I believe once I get that corrected my shift points will come back in line.

Shift points aside, the drivability is outstanding. The suspension feels a little stiffer than the Metalcloak on my red Jeep. I have always felt like the Metalcloak suspension felt soft. I have not experienced any bump steer either. Possibly due to the long arm suspension? This is also my first experience with the PSC steering box and hydraulic assist. You literally could turn the steering wheel with your little finger. It's effortless. I'm also not sure if the Swayloc swaybar is that much stiffer then the antirock swaybar, or if its the much wider 73.5" axles, but it feels like I am driving a stock Jeep again. It corners much better than my red Jeep. I wish I could put my finger on exactly which item helped what scenario, but there are several variables to each.

Lastly, I was a little nervous driving around some of our country backroads because they aren't the widest so I did some measuring last night. Vader sits at 92" wide from outside of tire to outside of tire. I measured my trailer at 96" wide. Not sure if it should have, but that made me feel a little better. lol

Honestly, I went into this with hesitation. While researching you read the good and the bad, but I was scared that it probably wouldn't drive that well and it would be a complete dog even with the 5.38 gears. I have to say I am completely in shock. It drives better than any of my other Jeeps. It's not perfect yet, but its close. It hesitates a little when shifting. I pulled up a GPS app this morning and noticed my miles per hour was off significantly. Jeep said I was doing 50, GPS said I was actually doing 65. So I need to go back into the computer and check the info I thought I entered. I believe once I get that corrected my shift points will come back in line.

Shift points aside, the drivability is outstanding. The suspension feels a little stiffer than the Metalcloak on my red Jeep. I have always felt like the Metalcloak suspension felt soft. I have not experienced any bump steer either. Possibly due to the long arm suspension? This is also my first experience with the PSC steering box and hydraulic assist. You literally could turn the steering wheel with your little finger. It's effortless. I'm also not sure if the Swayloc swaybar is that much stiffer then the antirock swaybar, or if its the much wider 73.5" axles, but it feels like I am driving a stock Jeep again. It corners much better than my red Jeep. I wish I could put my finger on exactly which item helped what scenario, but there are several variables to each.

Lastly, I was a little nervous driving around some of our country backroads because they aren't the widest so I did some measuring last night. Vader sits at 92" wide from outside of tire to outside of tire. I measured my trailer at 96" wide. Not sure if it should have, but that made me feel a little better. lol

That’s great it feels solid while on the road. The long arms will make it feel more stable along with the wider track.
But there in lies the rub . 96” wide foot print compared to mine which has a 77” wide track. Outside wheel to outside wheel.
The narrow forest service roads could be an issue.
Where if your somewhere wide open like Utah . No problemo . Matt’s Off-road recovery wrecker is running 42” I think . So he’s probably around the same width and he goes to many places in Utah
But he did mention a couple of times the Banana “Cherokee” gets him into the narrow trails where the other rigs would get hung up.
So I guess just have to be a bit selective on where you take it. I haven’t been but seen many videos on Black Bear Pass. 96” may be too wide for some of the shelf roads. That is @Dirtydog back yard so maybe he can comment on that .
Either way the rig will get you planes many cannot go . Which is cool . Looks great .
If you can’t get your system dialed in properly with whatever your using to change parameters . Many of us are using JSCAN . It works flawlessly . Tire Size, gears , lights etc etc . Many parameters can be changed very easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog
Hey @Qaddiction
How’s the Vader coming
along ?
Have you had a chance to take it out on some gnarly trails ?
Sorry, I have been absent for a while. Had an incredible vacation for 2.5 weeks at the end of July. Was having some health issues, but it never hindered vacation. Went to the doctor when we got back home and it has been a whirlwind ever since. Was diagnosed with non-hodgkin's lymphoma and this Friday I go in for my second round of chemo. Needless to say, poor Vader hasn't seen much use. I have driven it on the road a few times. I'm still shocked at how well it drives to be honest. I have several parts sitting in boxes waiting for me to get them installed. I just haven't felt up to it yet. I think I am getting closer though!

Sorry, I have been absent for a while. Had an incredible vacation for 2.5 weeks at the end of July. Was having some health issues, but it never hindered vacation. Went to the doctor when we got back home and it has been a whirlwind ever since. Was diagnosed with non-hodgkin's lymphoma and this Friday I go in for my second round of chemo. Needless to say, poor Vader hasn't seen much use. I have driven it on the road a few times. I'm still shocked at how well it drives to be honest. I have several parts sitting in boxes waiting for me to get them installed. I just haven't felt up to it yet. I think I am getting closer though!

Hey Quad. So sorry to hear about your health issues. That’s a tough one my friend .
Hopefully the chemo helps so you can put this behind you .
I get it with regards to other projects . Your health is more important to deal with .
I’m glad you got to drive Vader a bit here & there .
Those parts and your Jeep arnt going anywhere so no rush . Stay positive and get lots of rest .

Reactions: Qaddiction