Used factory radio won't work: Do I need a security code?

my99gtx

I have a '07 JK that has a radio that works intermittently. I went to a salvage yard and pulled a radio out of a '12 Jeep Patriot. The radio and harness install fine. The radio's backlights come on when the Jeep is started, but the whole unit will not power up. Do I need a security code for the radio? I have read that all cars post 2012 require security codes to be entered, but this radio does not prompt me to enter one.

Yes, it won't work without a security code.

Copied from another thread:

If you take a 130 RES radio (probably other models too) out of your Jeep and sell it, when it is installed in another vehicle, they will need a 4 digit security code or it won't work.

The procedure to get the code is as follows.

1. Call your dealer and explain that you need your security code
2. They will likely have you come in and show your vehicle registration because they need the VIN number and need to prove that the radio wasn't stolen
3. They will need to go to their 'DEALER CONNECT' site that is only available to dealers
4. Go to the 'SERVICE' section
5. Then go to the 'REPAIR' section. There will be a link on that page for radio security codes.
6. They will have to type in your VIN number and the Serial Number from the radio. (This is why it's better to do this before shipping)

It will then give them the Anti-Theft Code (4 digits)

If you call them and they try to give you the run around (like they did me) insist that they look on their 'DEALER CONNECT' site.

The code IS NOT in the manual that came with your Jeep. There is no supplement for the radio included.

Reactions: BigAL07
Reviving an older thread here just to see if the code can be located within the radio before it is removed, or if it is discoverable if reinstalled into the original vehicle...
Or possibly with the Jscan tool if the radio is installed in the original vehicle?

Reviving an older thread here just to see if the code can be located within the radio before it is removed, or if it is discoverable if reinstalled into the original vehicle...
Or possibly with the Jscan tool if the radio is installed in the original vehicle?
This came up in another thread . Scrolled back but couldn't find it . As a regular here mentioned that 4 digit security code. I had asked where does one get the code. There was an explanation, not as detailed as Chris's . Maybe whomever it was will read this and explain where to get code . I honestly can't remember exactly but think it was sosmilar to Chri's response , dealer .
Nothing was ever mentioned about JSCAN .

The service manager at my local dealership was able to get the code for me using the original vehicle VIN along with one of the #'s found on the radio.

how much did u paid ?
I paid exactly $0.00…
I actually didn’t even go into the dealership, I texted the info to the service manager who wrote up the work that was done on our JKU, and the next day he texted me a radio code.
It must have worked, as my cousin is running that radio in his JK.

Hello, I have a problem too. My car radio cd is asking me for a code, and I don't have it. The serial number is:T0012123270420 .I searched on the internet and found a radio code generator site. Do you have any idea if it is legit or not?

My experience with those sites is that they are trying to sell you a bridge, while collecting your data.

I reached out to a service advisor at my local dealership & provided him a photo of the labels and codes on the radio, along w/ the VIN of the vehicle that it came with.

He was able to get the code needed to install the radio in my cousin’s JK.

There was no cost to me for this request, but your local dealership may be different.

you posted in the last week on all the profile forums, with the same text..and with the same website,pure spam and idk if is scamm..... anyway if you want a radio code generator go here

CAR RADIO CODE UNLOCK SERVICE ..the cheapest and most reliable website on the market​

My experience with those sites is that they are trying to sell you a bridge, while collecting your data.

I reached out to a service advisor at my local dealership & provided him a photo of the labels and codes on the radio, along w/ the VIN of the vehicle that it came with.

He was able to get the code needed to install the radio in my cousin’s JK.

There was no cost to me for this request, but your local dealership may be different.
it's not quite 100% true..these websites save you from a trip to the car dealership and like 40$..mostly are free i guess..