Great deals on JK parts on Amazon!

Looking for parts for your Jeep Wrangler JK? Checkout the selection of JK parts Amazon has to offer, many with 2-day Prime shipping!

Click the image below to browse JK parts on Amazon.

Jeep Wrangler JK Parts on Amazon

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

Used factory radio won't work: Do I need a security code?

my99gtx

I have a '07 JK that has a radio that works intermittently. I went to a salvage yard and pulled a radio out of a '12 Jeep Patriot. The radio and harness install fine. The radio's backlights come on when the Jeep is started, but the whole unit will not power up. Do I need a security code for the radio? I have read that all cars post 2012 require security codes to be entered, but this radio does not prompt me to enter one.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Yes, it won't work without a security code.

Copied from another thread:

If you take a 130 RES radio (probably other models too) out of your Jeep and sell it, when it is installed in another vehicle, they will need a 4 digit security code or it won't work.

The procedure to get the code is as follows.

1. Call your dealer and explain that you need your security code
2. They will likely have you come in and show your vehicle registration because they need the VIN number and need to prove that the radio wasn't stolen
3. They will need to go to their 'DEALER CONNECT' site that is only available to dealers
4. Go to the 'SERVICE' section
5. Then go to the 'REPAIR' section. There will be a link on that page for radio security codes.
6. They will have to type in your VIN number and the Serial Number from the radio. (This is why it's better to do this before shipping)

It will then give them the Anti-Theft Code (4 digits)

If you call them and they try to give you the run around (like they did me) insist that they look on their 'DEALER CONNECT' site.

The code IS NOT in the manual that came with your Jeep. There is no supplement for the radio included.

Reactions: BigAL07

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
Reviving an older thread here just to see if the code can be located within the radio before it is removed, or if it is discoverable if reinstalled into the original vehicle...
Or possibly with the Jscan tool if the radio is installed in the original vehicle?

Speartip

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reviving an older thread here just to see if the code can be located within the radio before it is removed, or if it is discoverable if reinstalled into the original vehicle...
Or possibly with the Jscan tool if the radio is installed in the original vehicle?
This came up in another thread . Scrolled back but couldn't find it . As a regular here mentioned that 4 digit security code. I had asked where does one get the code. There was an explanation, not as detailed as Chris's . Maybe whomever it was will read this and explain where to get code . I honestly can't remember exactly but think it was sosmilar to Chri's response , dealer .
Nothing was ever mentioned about JSCAN .