Upper oil pan bolt broke while attaching new gasket

longlivenintendo

JK Enthusiast
Check this pic out. Was literally just finishing tightening bolts to 105 inch lbs and one broke. Tried all afternoon to get it out. Lost.
IMG_20221231_165413_01.jpg

Did you try drilling it out?

If not start with your smallest bit and try and drill in the center of the bolt then work your way up to a size that you can put a easy out in then just unscrew it.
Yeah I tried but got slightly off center. Maybe I can try redirecting it with the punch and try again? Feel so screwed

Yeah I tried but got slightly off center. Maybe I can try redirecting it with the punch and try again? Feel so screwed

If you get the hole a little offcenter just angle your bit to the direction you want the hole to be then after you have gotten drilled a little ways slowly start to straighten the bit. Usually it will put your hole where it's supposed to be, hope you're able to follow what I was saying.

If you get the hole a little offcenter just angle your bit to the direction you want the hole to be then after you have gotten drilled a little ways slowly start to straighten the bit. Usually it will put your hole where it's supposed to be, hope you're able to follow what I was saying.
Yeah I'm with you for sure. Here's to tomorrow giving it a hopefully more clear headed go

Feel inside above it and check if it threads thru the block. Try a left turn drill bit that should screw it out. You may have used a bolt that was too long if it is not a threaded thru hole.

Check this pic out. Was literally just finishing tightening bolts to 105 inch lbs and one broke. Tried all afternoon to get it out. Lost.View attachment 123428
Man we all feel your pain .
That blows .
I'm not totally sure how 105 inch
pounds would feel.
But those bolts using a 3/8
ratchet only need to be snug.
It's also a really good idea to
replace aging bolts when doing
repairs such as this. As they do
have a tendency to rust being
located at the bottom of vehicle
and exposed to the elements .

Did you try drilling it out?

If not start with your smallest bit and try and drill in the center of the bolt then work your way up to a size that you can put a easy out in then just unscrew it.
got a good update from last monday! We got the bolt out, (ended up using a pick tool) we had to rethread the hole because I had stripped the threads as I missed the hole. A lot of lessons learned here though. Had to learn the different "feel" of bolts and how to work with them, be patient, and not force anything. Very important to get the inch lb wrench and carefully go around as you tighten them in a criss cross pattern. Thank you for the support, and hopefully this thread will help people from making the same mistakes. I will post a short video on youtube summarizing what I learned and referencing other videos on youtube on doing this repair.

Screenshot_20230105-201444_Gallery.jpg