Typical new owner questions about engine and transmission

Ruby Yellow

Hello everyone,

I sold my 2004 TJ and just picked up a nice 2016 Unlimited Sport with just 50K miles. The 3.6 engine does NOT make any noise so I asked the dealer what oil they serviced it with and they said Pennzoil Ultra 0w20. Since there have been so many reports of engine top end noise, I was wondering what engine oil owners have had the best luck with with respect to reliability and longevity. In addition, I will be changing the trans oil soon and I wanted to know if owners have had luck with the trans pan's that have a drain plug and if so, which pan(s) they are. Any helpful advice for this new JK owner will be appreciated.

I use Mobile One 5W30 Extended Performance in both Wranglers. Change it every 20,000 miles.
Thor has 110,000 miles, no problems. Only repairs have been a thermostat, radiator, and TIPM. Tune up at 100,000.
Jeepers got a new engine after 199,5xx miles. Same thermostat and radiator replacement. Tune up at 100,000.
I use Mobile One 5w30 in the Vette, too. But it gets changed after every track day, so I don't use the Extended Performance version.

Reactions: tJKrider
Jeep specs 5w20 for the 3.8 & 3.6. Although they also say can run 5W30 depending on your driving conductions etc.
I run 5W20 Mobile 1 like @ Dirtydog . Their synthetic is top quality . Change it out every 5K.
Putting a drain plug in trans pan is a good idea . You can get drain plugs and put one in factory pan . Or go after market . Google is your friend as there is many out there . Or check Quadratech.
Fluid for trans and transfer case is ATF4.
Welcome to the forum :)

OP, it's a Jeep dealer that put 0W-20 in your JK or an independent car lot? Reason I ask is, if Im not mistake, dealers are very strict at sticking to manufacturer recommended fluids.

Reactions: Speartip
Hello everyone,

I sold my 2004 TJ and just picked up a nice 2016 Unlimited Sport with just 50K miles. The 3.6 engine does NOT make any noise so I asked the dealer what oil they serviced it with and they said Pennzoil Ultra 0w20. Since there have been so many reports of engine top end noise, I was wondering what engine oil owners have had the best luck with with respect to reliability and longevity. In addition, I will be changing the trans oil soon and I wanted to know if owners have had luck with the trans pan's that have a drain plug and if so, which pan(s) they are. Any helpful advice for this new JK owner will be appreciated.
The 2016 manual recommends "FCA Material Standard MS-6395" class, API certified oils. A number of different weights are listed: "0W-20, 5W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30 and 10W-30 engine oils." Your Pennzoil sounds like it meets the recommendations. I run 5W-20 at the moment.

The dealer where I purchased the JKU is who serviced it with the Pennzoil 0w20. If I have them change it, I will probably ask them to service it with 5w20 or 5w30 depending on what the range of temps will be.

The dealer where I purchased the JKU is who serviced it with the Pennzoil 0w20. If I have them change it, I will probably ask them to service it with 5w20 or 5w30 depending on what the range of temps will be.
I'd stop going to the Stealership, myself.
You can change the oil in your driveway with just an adjustable wrench an oil filter wrench, and a bucket. The JK sits high enough, even stock, that you probably don't even need a set of ramps. Just park it with the rear end slightly lower than the front. You can get the oil and filter from Amazon for about $30.

I happened to change my oil in my JK yesterday. Like a few above I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30 and change it about every 6k miles. I check it pretty regularly and it never loses oil but starts getting pretty dark around 5k.

I changed my wife's as well but took hers to an oil change place. I've always changed hers myself as well until she got this GMC SUV, the battery is under the rear floorboard and the oil filter is hardly visible from the top or bottom. I had to put more refridgerant in last summer and the input was in a weird spot underneath the vehicle, I almost couldn't find it.

You really don't need to have them change it. The main reason for using different weights is climate temperature. And the manual indicates that range, so you should be fine with 0W-20 unless you want it changed