Transmission cooler questions

Threepointsix

JK Enthusiast
The idea was suggested to me when I stopped at a local shop and asked the owner if he can do a transmission fluid change on my JK. The gentleman replied that he can but is usually weary of doing them if the fluid is clean and there's no current issues. Then he looked over and saw my JK on 35's and said I should consider adding a trans cooler at some point in the future. To be clear, he didn't try to sell me on any particular brand, size, electric fan type, etc. Didn't even ask I do it with him. He simply said a 'good, basic type trans cooler can really help with longevity of auto transmissions'.

So when I got home I did a bit of searching on the topic of coolers. And it seems like a good idea because early failure can be caused by excessive heat as well as poor maintenance. However, since the 2012 and later come with a factory cooler, would it be prudent for me to add one? And further more, should I be at all concerned with changing the fluid and filter? NO flush.

STATS:
2013 / JKU / 35's / 3.73 / AEV module for tire size adjustment / 64k miles

Thanks in advance.

The factory cooler does a pretty good job. I would get a scanner or OBD2 app (like Torque) or something like a BullyDog/Edge to monitor trans temps. See what it's doing while your on the highway or wheeling. Then decide if your stock cooler isn't up to task.

I have an 07 that has a factory cooler and it also passes through the AC condenser, and even with the hemi while wheeling it's been fine. I haven't had it in high heat or long, mountain climbs offroad yet, but will upgrade if I ever see higher temps. I haven't seen above 160 actually.

Check the owners manual.
Thanks, this is informative. Though, I do believe my manual says 60k. I'll double check and confirm. Id DIY it, but breaking off the oil pan brackets or stripping the bolts is a legit concern.

Guess no one recommends the additional cooler either.

Reactions: mrjp
Thank you gentleman! I really appreciate the feedback, info, and suggestions.

@BLACKJKU -I do plan to move to a hotter climate state. And Im often in stop and go traffic where I currently reside. ✅

@pcoplin - I was wondering how people where reading their trans temps and right, -OBD2 apps, Jscan, etc! Where's my head? lol

@mrjp - Im at 64k and over 6 years at this point, (2013) but haven't ran my Jeep according to any of those conditions. The friend who sold me his Jeep did run fire trails and brook crossings back when he had it. HoweverC the trans fluid looks clean. So Im likely adding the cooler and keeping an eye on the fluid as the miles increase.

EDIT: my manual is of course exactly as the PDF you posted. You got me 🤘

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
You can buy real nice trans coolers with a fan on them and they can be mounted up under the Jeep tucked away. They have a thermostat to turn the fan on.
I was looking into the different options and saw the one's with a fan, like you mention.

Thinking to just keep it front mount, because I really dont want get get up into the $300 range with install. But I'll dig deeper into the fan realm before I pull the trigger on a basic unit.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
I recently installed a Hayden 403. The factory cooler has a clog somewhere I think. Not much stop and go driving for me so I was able to bypass it.

Warmer weather in NJ today. I was following a burial convoy after a wake into a cemetery and noticed my engine temp creeping up just passed the middle mark. That said, Im def adding an aux trans cooler to my 2013.

Never-ending mods! FML