TPMS problem (take two)

tommyryy

Help. I have a '13 JK sport and my TPMS system is in trouble. I replaced the TPMS module over the rear axle but since I have the Connectivity group with EVIC (which has 3 modules) and I am missing the front left tire display (showing ---) I now have to replace the front left module and I cannot find where this is located. I assumed it would be in close proximity to the wheel housing so I removed the inner wheelhouse liner and there are no wires in that area. I cannot see anything under the jeep or in the engine compartment. Is it under the dash inside the Jeep? I know it is the module since the transmitter was replaced with a Mopar unit and my Autel scanner picks up all 5 tires. Any information is greatly appreciated!

Still looking for any information. I have scoured the internet but nothing on the left hand sensor location. Plenty of pictures and info on the right and rear sensors. Thanks everyone.

For clarification:
Are you needing to replace one of the TPMS sensors, one of the 3 chassis sensors or the WCM (wireless control module)? I'm guessing it's not the WCM since it's receiving some, but not all, info from the chassis sensors.
It is my understanding the WCM is located on the rear crossmember and I've also read, AND CANNOT CONFIRM, the JKs now only 1 chassis sensors collecting data from the TPMS sensors and sending it to the WCM. This could be completely wrong, but I'm still reading.

Have you tried performing any one of the mentioned resets?
1. If you are 100% sure the valves have not been replaced with regular ones, you need to simply drive the Jeep for 10minutes at a constant speed, to allow the sensors to relearn the tire pressure. Pay little attention to the actual readings for now since these will fluctuate a bit during driving and stationary resting numbers.
2. You need to also determine if the problem lays with a sensor or with the TPMS module. You can do a simple tire rotation to determine where exactly the problem lays.
3. Module Replacement: The TPMS system is quite intelligent and can determine all the required info from the 3 chassis sensors. The WCM (Wireless Control Module) receives the info from the sensors, which is then relayed to the driver onboard. The alert warning on the dashboard cluster will remain eliminated until the tire is inflated to the placard pressure. All this information is processed within seconds of the vehicle driving and all done automatically.
4. Disconnecting the battery to reset: Owners have attempted to reset the TPMS monitoring system by disconnecting the battery. If you disconnect the negative battery terminal for 5 minutes – all electronic modules and capacitors lose their memory. This is not only applicable to your TPMS system but every electronic circuit on your vehicle. This practice will also erase onboard error messages.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The 3 TPMS chassis mounted sensors are located in 3 of the 4 wheel wells. The WCM is located on the rear cross member.

More reading:
The WCM will store all wheel sensor ID’s and locations and faults in memory that can be accessed through diagnostic communication. All other data values transmitted from each active wheel sensor (not the spare tire) shall be stored in the WCM memory.

The WCM automatically learns and stores the sensors’s ID while driving “within 10 minutes continuously above 15 mph (24 km/h)” after a sensor has been replaced. The learning sequence will initiate when the vehicle has been stopped for more then 20 minutes.

The operation and lamp/chime strategy of the Base Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) also applies to the Premium TPMS, but the premium TPMS can display text messages and a tire pressure graphic display on the information cluster. If a low pressure condition is detected, in addition to a chime and indicator lamp turning ON, the Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC) will show a graphic display of the pressure value(s) with the low tire(s) flashing. Once pressure in the suspect tire raises above the Low Pressure (lamp) OFF Threshold (see placard table below), the lamp will go out once the WCM receives a valid transmission from the sensor. If a system fault is detected, in addition to a chime and a indicator lamp flashing, a “Check TPM System” text message will be displayed in the instrument cluster, and the tire pressure graphic display will have “- -“ in place of the pressure value. The system will return to normal once the WCM receives a valid transmission from that sensor location.

Last edited:
Hello
Here is what I did so far. Front left tire pressure display went dead (--- on display) Had tire shop replace front left tire sensor with new Mopar unit that I supplied. Still dead display. Checked all tire sensors multiple time with my Autel tool. All 5 tires are reporting fine and have good battery life. Replaced TPMS module above rear axle with brand new Mopar unit. Front left is still dead. THEN discovered on line that an EVIC equipped (JK with Connectivity group option) has 3 TPMS modules. So then I scanned the JK with my Xtool D8 and confirmed a module failure on the TPMS and i was unable to reset the DTC with the Xtool If I can find the Left Front module I can replace it and should be good to go. But I have no idea where to look. Have not done battery since I want to do that as a last resort Thanks again

Last edited:
What you replaced on top of the rear cross member was the receiver, or WMC. This receives the input from the 3 wheel well sensors.
I think the one you're looking for is located on the front left frame rail in front of your driver's side wheel.
Turn your wheel to the left, crawl under and locate your side marker light and the front turn signal. There is a visible frame rail painted the same color as the Jeep and just behind and to the outside of the turn signal you'll see a frame mounted clip on the front side of that frame rail. A shrouded pair of black & white wires is clipped. I think this is what you're looking for, but I can't be sure. I'm still trying to find some confirmation.

Hi

Thanks for the additional information. I took the inner fender liner out and looked to the rear and bottom (near the firewall) and couldn't find any wiring but did not look by the turn signal / marker light area. I am busy today but will try some exploratory research tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help.

Hi. I'm still trying to find the left front TPMS module. Has everyone ever dealt with this ? I purchased a factory service manual and there is very little info on the TPMS system. Thank you

I posted earlier and thought I would try again since I might be trying to go down the proverbial rabbit hole. Here is the situation:

2013 JK with Connectivity group
TPMS error message on cluster. Left front displays (--) all other tires normal
Replaced sensor in left front tire with new Mopar sensor
Scanned all sensors and all normal/good battery life
Uploaded sensor data from Autel TPMS tool to ECM
System is normal for 2-3 days and then service TPMS message and left front(--) error message shows again
Replaced TPMS module above above rear axle - no change

Anyone have any further ideas on what to do? Disabling system is NOT an option for me. I just want it to work again. Thanks in advance.

If you look at the Threads at the bottom of this page where it has " Similar Threads " you might find something.

Reactions: mrjp
I posted earlier and thought I would try again since I might be trying to go down the proverbial rabbit hole. Here is the situation:

2013 JK with Connectivity group
TPMS error message on cluster. Left front displays (--) all other tires normal
Replaced sensor in left front tire with new Mopar sensor
Scanned all sensors and all normal/good battery life
Uploaded sensor data from Autel TPMS tool to ECM
System is normal for 2-3 days and then service TPMS message and left front(--) error message shows again
Replaced TPMS module above above rear axle - no change

Anyone have any further ideas on what to do? Disabling system is NOT an option for me. I just want it to work again. Thanks in advance.
I am having the same issue with the front drivers side TPMS not registering, even after a tire rotation. Any resolution?

I am having the same issue with the front drivers side TPMS not registering, even after a tire rotation. Any resolution?
Hi Chewyvv
I found I was chasing down the rabbit hole! I replaced the WCM module on the rear crossmember to no avail. Then I went in search of the front WCM modules and after much sleuthing never found them. I had replaced the TPMS sensors in the front tires with new factory Mopar units and after 2 days they failed. In desperation I bought some generic sensors from Amazon and everything worked great! The Mopars were no good! Not sure if that helps but I never had any more problems. If your JK is a 2013 or greater make sure the sensors are 415 MHZ since there was a change in '13. Take care and good luck