Throttle sticking and battery light coming on on 2007 JKU

Evank25

I drive a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara unlimited 4x4 and it’s a 6 speed manual. While driving my battery light turned on and at the exact same time my throttle began to stick at exactly 2000 RPM’s. If above 2000 it would drop to 2k and then stay there until the car came to a complete stop. Once the wheels stopped turning it would drop to idle like normal. If I rev to anywhere under 1999 RPM it drops like normal regardless of speed. I checked my battery and it’s good, and replaced the alternator a month ago so I doubt that is the problem. Will check the alternator, but I don’t know how it would be connected to the throttle stick. The battery light and throttle stick would not seem to be related, but they started happening at the exact same time which is odd. Gas pedal and clutch both feel normal, and if in gear without the clutch engaged the RPM drops normally until stalling as it should. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I have a 2008 with a manual trans also, my throttle will hang when I come to a stop sometimes and has been like that the whole time i've owned it. (Just a little over a year) My battery light has never came on so I doubt if that's your problem. I'd suggest cleaning your battery clamps and the end of the ground at the engine. When the battery light comes on have you checked to see what your volts are?

Reactions: mrjp
It's not clear to me what is going on. So it will not go above 2K? or it hangs there when decelerating until you come to a stop?

If it is that it will not go above, I tried looking around the internet for what an early JK with Manual transmission does if it goes into "Limp home mode" but was unable to get any answers in my very brief dig. Regardless, it may be something to look into.

It's not throwing any codes? You didn't say one way or the other.

I've never had any codes and it also did it before I put my Viper TB on so it's not a TB issue.

I have a 2008 with a manual trans also, my throttle will hang when I come to a stop sometimes and has been like that the whole time i've owned it. (Just a little over a year) My battery light has never came on so I doubt if that's your problem. I'd suggest cleaning your battery clamps and the end of the ground at the engine. When the battery light comes on have you checked to see what your volts are?
The throttle actually never hangs at a stop, only when I’m moving, and 2000 rpm is pretty high to hang at, makes it difficult to shift into gear at slow speeds. if the wheels completely stop it drops right away. I’ll try cleaning the battery clamps tomorrow and see if that helps. Thank you!

It's not clear to me what is going on. So it will not go above 2K? or it hangs there when decelerating until you come to a stop?

If it is that it will not go above, I tried looking around the internet for what an early JK with Manual transmission does if it goes into "Limp home mode" but was unable to get any answers in my very brief dig. Regardless, it may be something to look into.

It's not throwing any codes? You didn't say one way or the other.
Sorry for the confusion, it has no trouble going to any RPM on the way up and while driving at speed. but hangs at 2000 rpm on the way down until the car comes to a complete stop. No new codes either other than the battery light. I have to assume the battery light and throttle stick are unrelated but it was odd they happened at the exact same time. Thanks!

Ok, that clarifies things.
I would hunt down the battery issue. It's annoying how many things in modern vehicles can go all wacky if the voltage is off. Not saying it will solve the problem, but it is the easier of the two and it might. Check the battery and alternator.

Sorry for the confusion, it has no trouble going to any RPM on the way up and while driving at speed. but hangs at 2000 rpm on the way down until the car comes to a complete stop. No new codes either other than the battery light. I have to assume the battery light and throttle stick are unrelated but it was odd they happened at the exact same time. Thanks!

Same thing mine does, I just try to make sure the RPM's are as low as possible before I release the clutch.

the 2008 warngler had an electronic throttle (No Mechanical linkage) and don't rmember if there was a ground connection at the sending unit for the fhrottle where the gas pedal is bolted on....In or there will be a ground for that system in wiring group that plugs in near or at the throttle body. It wont hurt to check for dirty contacts in that plug at the T.B. Nearly all circuits feed thru the Computer so it can monitor all sensors etc. The computer on our Jeeps are very picky about even the slightes irregulariy.