Thermostat needs changing

Goldie

Hey again everyone,
So my check engine light is on my Unlimited 2016 Wrangler. I ran a diagnostic check and it reports that I need my thermostat changed. I have been calling around to different mechanic shops who say and so far no luck not even with the car dealer. I aspire to learn how to do maintenance on my car independently. But can anyone provide any suggestions ?

Any help would be appreciated

Sent you an email with the procedure attached. I good place to buy auto parts is rock auto also.

It tells you to drain the radiator but you don't necessarily need to as long as you are ok with a bit of a mess on the ground or if you have a large pan you may be able to catch a lot of it when you take the hose off and the thermostat itself. Just make sure you fill the radiator back up with the proper coolant and run it with the radiator cap off until it is fully warm and make sure it is full. Install the radiator cap when everything looks ok.

The 737mechanic YouTube Channel

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp
We also have that procedure in our How To Guides.

Reactions: 737mechanic
I replaced my t-stat in April after getting a P0128 code.
FYI, none of the local auto parts chains had the replacement (Advance, O'Reillys, Napa, Auto Zone). I ordered mine from PartsGeek.com and had it in a couple days.

And I highly recommend purchasing the entire housing, not just the t-stat. The housing is plastic and will corrode if there was any coolant leak effecting it.

https://wranglerjkforum.net/threads/p0128-code.28629/#post-436632

Be happy to share any tips or specifics on my situation.

Reactions: JerryD
I agree with @737mechanic about not needing to drain the radiator.

HOWEVER, make sure you get the correct coolant for your engine. Do NOT use "universal" coolant from the parts store either. You can get it at a decent price on Amazon. See this thread for good information on the topic.

@Anybodyhome has good advice, too, regarding the housing. View it as preventative maintenance.