Switch to GMRS from CB

JerryD

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Supporting Member
Hi all -

Just curious how many have installed GMRS? Our club still pushes CB but with JJUSA ditching CB in favor of GMRS, I wonder if that will be the push that kills off CB for trail rides.

I have my V/UHF ham radio, full size CB, and put in a Midland MXT275 last month. The CB still has some utility, and it's mounted in my center console so it's not much of an issue, but if our club moves away from it, it will probably be coming out at that point. Thoughts?

I have the same question. I believe the 2022 Moab runs will require GMRS.
I don't know what it has tha CB doesn't.

CB is marginally cheaper and no license is required. CB am signal is horrible. GMRS can use repeaters and have higher power (50watts vs 4w IIRC). GMRS is better all around but it is "change" :)

Reactions: Mike AM
If I'm not mistaken, the cost gets cut down to $35 this summer. I'm just waiting for that to happen. I have my ham ticket, but the fam needs GMRS.

Tim

Reactions: mrjp
I've switched over to GMRS. I still keep my CB just incase I need it, but GMRS is far superior to CB in every way. The radio I am uses advertises over 50 miles of range if unobstructed. I have found it works for at least 15 miles even when there are obstructions.

I really wish Midland came out with a detachable faceplate model. I went with the one I did because of the dearth of mounting options.

We ran both CB and GMRS this week exploring a new forest road where heavy logging was going on, most of the log trucks and shovel operators in our area (WSTERN WA) use CB and that will help keep you from getting run over, but another group that was setting up the haul out areas and logs was definitely using GMRS. Since both are installed in my Jeep they will stay even if I eventually go ham.

AM (CB) vs FM (GMRS). The quality of voice comms on FM is superior to AM. Add in 50 watts max vs 4 watts and its a no brainer.

This is what I run for GMRS mobile. Wouxun KG-1000G and exterior antenna, I like the ability to have one channel for the run and the second one for scanning for other rigs,! I still have the hand held CB that converts to a exterior antenna and cigarette lighter power supply for the logging trucks. I started with a Kenwood 8180 first for GMRS but I made that one into a base station that will reach Tiger Mountain 56 miles away. Still may get in to the Ham world but for now this meets my needs, I have used my current setup with other units and brands on the trail and all worked well.

gmrs radio.jpg

gms antenna.jpg

NO TROLLS, SKIP, STATIC, INFINITLY LONGER RANGE, 50 WATTS XMIT POWER ( in certain radios ) linear amps 25 w available for gmrs handi talkies , its just better all way around.

This is what I run for GMRS mobile. Wouxun KG-1000G and exterior antenna, I like the ability to have one channel for the run and the second one for scanning for other rigs,! I still have the hand held CB that converts to a exterior antenna and cigarette lighter power supply for the logging trucks. I started with a Kenwood 8180 first for GMRS but I made that one into a base station that will reach Tiger Mountain 56 miles away. Still may get in to the Ham world but for now this meets my needs, I have used my current setup with other units and brands on the trail and all worked well.

View attachment 120333

View attachment 120334
your antenna wave propagation is out the rear passenger side , ( thats your strongest xmit range direction )

gmrs propagation.png