Suspension Recommendations

ThePaleOne85

I have a 2013 JK Oscar Mike 2 door. Dana 30 front, Dana 44 3.73 in the rear. Everything on it is stock minus the 35" tires,2" wheel spacers and 2 in spring lift for the body. This is my daily driver, it's just now at 77,754 miles on it. Due to work I am only occasionally taking it wheeling. It still has the factory springs and shocks. Last week went wheeling and I could feel every single bump, rock, everything. My buddy in his mostly stock Rubicon floated over everything and didn't hardly feel a thing. I'm looking for recommendations for getting a smoother ride on and off road. Not looking to put huge lifts or anything. If I ever lift it it'll be probably 2.5" for now I want to replace the shocks, RC is usually crucified and I don't have the money for top of the line. Anyone have any shock/spring recommendation that stays under probably $1,500-$1,800 max? Pros and cons? It's an awesome rig and I love it, I just want to make it to where I'm not slamming my head and slinging my kids like we're in a tornado wheeling and not feeling the full force of every single bump on the road. TIA

My buddy in his mostly stock Rubicon floated over everything and didn't hardly feel a thing
What is not stock about his rig? I agree with @BLACKJKU regarding pressure. What tire is your buddy running and what pressure? That would a good comparison.

For reference I just swapped my OEM Sahara springs/shocks for OEM Rubicon springs/shocks and the ride improved in my mind, but it's not "softer". The springs have a higher rate and I like that. I find that these springs and shocks compliment each other but they were essentially new takeoffs. If your shocks are tired your system will be underdamped and will feel bouncy. Couple that with higher impact harshness from tire pressure that is too high for the conditions and it would be uncomfortable. Every impact will keep on giving so to speak...

Last edited:
What kind of pressures you running in those tires, lower pressure will make it not so bouncy.
Currently I run 26psi -27psi full time on road, off road I run about 15. I know and understand it's a 2 door short wheelbase so I'm not expecting it to ride like an Cadillac it just seems more rough than bouncy. I have 2013 stock Chrysler shocks and stock springs, not sure if that matters or not. It drives straight as an arrow aside from the occasional high wind bob and weave, no death wobble. I guess I'm just wondering if there's really much I can do to soak up some of the roughness. It's my first jeep so maybe it's the normal amount idk but if I go over a bump or rocks or anything not level off road or a pot hole on road it feels more like a thump or clunk rather than shocks absorbing most of the harshness is that makes sense. That's the best way I can describe it, almost like riding a bike on a seat with no padding or shocks just feeling every bump more than I feel like I should.

What is not stock about his rig? I agree with @BLACKJKU regarding pressure. What tire is your buddy running and what pressure? That would a good comparison.

For reference I just swapped my OEM Sahara springs/shocks for OEM Rubicon springs/shocks and the ride improved in my mind, but it's not "softer". The springs have a higher rate and I like that. I find that these springs and shocks compliment each other but they were essentially new takeoffs. If your shocks are tired your system will be underdamped and will feel bouncy. Couple that with higher impact harshness from tire pressure that is too high for the conditions and it would be uncomfortable. Every impact will keep on giving so to speak...

If feels like everything is under dampened like there is almost nothing absorbing the blow. Even with air down it's bouncy and jarring. That's why I think I need new shocks

Reactions: tJKrider
I have similar mileage on my 2016 2dr and my OEM shocks were pretty much done when I removed them recently...
That is my guess, my buddies Rubicon is a lot newer I believe it's a 2018 and a 4 door so I know that comes into play as well. I've done the bumper test and the front seems slower to come up than the back to with them being 11 years old I figure it's time to get new shocks. Don't have a ton of money to throw at expensive shocks, I'm fine with stiffness as long as it absorbs the initial brunt of the impact. Any recommendations?

That is my guess, my buddies Rubicon is a lot newer I believe it's a 2018 and a 4 door so I know that comes into play as well. I've done the bumper test and the front seems slower to come up than the back to with them being 11 years old I figure it's time to get new shocks. Don't have a ton of money to throw at expensive shocks, I'm fine with stiffness as long as it absorbs the initial brunt of the impact. Any recommendations?
I found mine on FB Marketplace. My net price was $150 for 4 springs and shocks off of a Rubicon with 7k miles on them. Couldn't pass it up. If you can't find some good take-offs (low mileage JK stuff is harder to find for obvious reasons) I would go with a set of Bilstein 4600s:

https://www.shocksurplus.com/produc...4OvEZmOo4MoPeOfNJAFF4gF9OudtR7ZxoCICcQAvD_BwE