Steering Shaft Snapped!

ArttyG

I was out wheeling this past weekend in my 2010 JK 2 door. I went over a flexy spot on the trail that required a hard right hand turn, and snapped the output shaft on the steering gear. Has anyone else had this issue?

Any suggestions on preventing this in the future?

I am considering trying to find the parts to rebuild the gear box, but would like some input from others with more experience.

Is there a beefier box, or beefier parts I should consider using?

Thanks!

P.S. When I get the steering box figured out, I am going to have to do some work on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I spun the steering wheel too far when the steering failed and screwed with the airbag, ESP, Traction control, and Cruise control.

Please tell me where I can get informed on how to fix this issue as well.

Thanks!

I was out wheeling this past weekend in my 2010 JK 2 door. I went over a flexy spot on the trail that required a hard right hand turn, and snapped the output shaft on the steering gear. Has anyone else had this issue?

Any suggestions on preventing this in the future?

I am considering trying to find the parts to rebuild the gear box, but would like some input from others with more experience.

Is there a beefier box, or beefier parts I should consider using?

Thanks!

The only thing I know of to prevent it from happening in the future is to quit wheeling. It's just one of those things that can happen when you do things like that.

The only thing I know of to prevent it from happening in the future is to quit wheeling. It's just one of those things that can happen when you do things like that.
Ok, I guess I walked right into that one. I guess my question is,

Is this a common failure?

Is there something better than stock that I should consider replacing the gear box with?

Thanks!

I don't know if you could make this work or not. I had one on my Dodge Ram and when I junked it I kept the brace and modified it to work on my Blazer.

I have the Synergy Support on my current setup and still have concern. The previous owner installed it and has had zero issues with the sector shaft in 10+ years of wheeling.
And yes the Sector Shaft is a known weak link and can easily cripple a rig. Which I am always cognizant of. If I'm getting too much restriction on the steering I have to Austin Powers it back and forth, knowing I can snap that thing in half.

Some solutions:
-The Synergy Kit. Its an insurance plan not an upgrade.
-PSC Big Bore box. The steering box by itself is an upgrade with a larger sector shaft and larger internals. For full benefit you'll need the pump and reservoir.
-PSC (or similar) hydro assist. Can be done on the cheap (<$700) but a proper kit can be upwards of $2500 not installed.

Regardless, good luck getting her up and running.

Reactions: Vman
I am currently running this rig in stock condition. It came with 32" tires.

It seems like hydro assist would be overkill? Would it be?

I heard with big tires the hydro assist is good, but with hydro assist you still have a steering gear box.

I have the non-hydro assist version of the PSC big bore running 35's. It is hands down awesome. Steering on and off road is perfect. I can turn the wheel with one finger while stopped.

Full kit of pump, hoses, reservoir, cooler, gear box, fluid and pitman arm is about $1700. Or was before 2021/2022 crazyness.

Last edited:
P.S. When I get the steering box figured out, I am going to have to do some work on the steering wheel. Unfortunately, I spun the steering wheel too far when the steering failed and screwed with the airbag, ESP, Traction control, and Cruise control.

Please tell me where I can get informed on how to fix this issue as well.

Thanks!

Broken clock spring i suppose. Just unhook the battery for a while and replace it