Sound when letting off gas

Js90

Hi jeepers! New member, desperate for help so please be nice :(

Have this sound any time I let off the gas (as if I’m about to brake). Nothing is standing out in the wheels. Almost seems to sound with engine, not wheel rotations. Serpentine belt is in perfect condition. Any ideas? I’d be forever grateful! Video attached has sound:

Trying to hear past the ambient noise, but have you checked your brake pads? Almost sounds like one is loose.

Trying to hear past the ambient noise, but have you checked your brake pads? Almost sounds like one is loose.
Thank you so much for your reply! I know, ugh it’s hard to capture it on video without getting everything else going on in the neighborhood 🙄

Brake pads are in good condition. Recently checked those while tracking down a DIFFERENT sound (Jeep life, not for the faint hearted). I posted on another forum about this issue and a few people suggested the serpentine belt and loose heat shields. Belt looks brand new and seems just the correct tightness. Not even sure how to go about checking heat shields 😣

I was also thinking catalytic converter, but those sound more like a tin can with gravel rattling around in it. It is interesting that it's only evident when there's no acceleration.

Reactions: BigAL07
I was also thinking catalytic converter, but those sound more like a tin can with gravel rattling around in it. It is interesting that it's only evident when there's no acceleration.
Right?! It is the strangest thing!! After a few days, the noise has gotten more quiet, but it's still there. I can't think of why it toned down either. My brake pads are in good condition, but almost seem a little loose. Think that could be it?

Right?! It is the strangest thing!! After a few days, the noise has gotten more quiet, but it's still there. I can't think of why it toned down either. My brake pads are in good condition, but almost seem a little loose. Think that could be it?
The sound reminded me of a loose brake pad slightly rubbing on the rotor. It would have to be very, very slight, otherwise you'd smell it and possibly see some smoke.

Reactions: BigAL07
Have u checked your dust shields to see if they are rubbing the rotor or have a rock stuck in them. Just a thought. Reach in behind the front wheels and pull them out some🍺🍺

Reactions: JeepJeezy
Have u checked your dust shields to see if they are rubbing the rotor or have a rock stuck in them. Just a thought. Reach in behind the front wheels and pull them out some🍺🍺
Thanks for the response. I'm out of town but I'll check that out when I get home. Just to be clear, the noise sounds identical to the squealing that typically indicates the brakes are wearing out and I only hear it when I let off the accelerator and then the noise stops immediately when I actually apply my brakes. Do you still think it could possibly be a rock in the dust shield?

Thanks for the response. I'm out of town but I'll check that out when I get home. Just to be clear, the noise sounds identical to the squealing that typically indicates the brakes are wearing out and I only hear it when I let off the accelerator and then the noise stops immediately when I actually apply my brakes. Do you still think it could possibly be a rock in the dust shield?
Possible. But that sounds metal on metal.
Had a similar sound just after doing new pads rotors on the rear. My culpret ended up being the Pad Clips that came with the PowerStop pads. Cheep and thin.
I ordered some new ones that had rubber coating on one side. Also coated all the interacting surfaces with CRC brake quite.

Solved my problem. Not blaming PowerStop but I think it was a supply issue. Used their kits forever and that was the first time I had ever had loose, rattling clips.

Scott

Yes. On my WJ I actually had the smallest pebble get stuck in the groove of my new break pad. That was annoying 😒. I also had my dust shield get tweeked by a rock and would only make the noise at certain speeds.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Definitely can happen. Might have to break er down to find it. But hey it’s a Jeep they say that’s half the fun 🤩 u will find it brother. Always keep plenty of🍺 and 💰. 🍺👍

Reactions: mrjp
Hi jeepers! New member, desperate for help so please be nice :(

Have this sound any time I let off the gas (as if I’m about to brake). Nothing is standing out in the wheels. Almost seems to sound with engine, not wheel rotations. Serpentine belt is in perfect condition. Any ideas? I’d be forever grateful! Video attached has sound:

Did you ever figure out problem, my 2018 jeep is doing the same