Skid plate question

JaimeLynn

Ok, I know there are pros and cons about steel or aluminum skid plates. I pretty much decided on the Rock Hard skids (steal or aluminum), but now artec aluminum went in sale to where they are pretty much the same price! Well except shipping is a lot higher still on artec.
I have only done one trail ( Snake) at Hot Springs Park. I want to do more, but I'm scared without skids. I have a 2.5 lift with 33's. She is my daily driver and has very high sentimental value, so I've got to be protected. My boyfriend says aluminum bc of the weight issue. But....
HELP! Lol

Nice JK! I have the Rockhard skids and they seem like a great product. I have the steel, aluminum just doesn’t seem the same to me. I used to work on semi-trailers and there is a lot of aluminum in them, and often we were replacing bottom rails and they would get ”sliced” through. For the RH skids they give the weight and in my opinion the difference in weight between their products is not enough to go with aluminum. I’ve also have the skids on order for my wife’s JK, still in production.

Reactions: Barry and mrjp
Ok, I know there are pros and cons about steel or aluminum skid plates. I pretty much decided on the Rock Hard skids (steal or aluminum), but now artec aluminum went in sale to where they are pretty much the same price! Well except shipping is a lot higher still on artec.
I have only done one trail ( Snake) at Hot Springs Park. I want to do more, but I'm scared without skids. I have a 2.5 lift with 33's. She is my daily driver and has very high sentimental value, so I've got to be protected. My boyfriend says aluminum bc of the weight issue. But....
HELP! Lol
I'm steel skids all day. I had Ironrock Off-road steel skids on my WJ. My buddy made a really nice set of aluminum skids for his WJ. Now his were thicker and lighter than mine but did NOT hold up like mine. Unless you're doing a whole front to back 1/2" thick steel underbelly skid plate, don't worry about weight. Thats my 2 cents.

Reactions: Barry and mrjp
I did not order the cross member for mine, not sure if that was the best decision or not. For my wife’s JK I ordered the cross member as her was slightly damaged some by the PO. So I have the engine / oil skid transmission skid, and the transfer case skid plus cross member ordered for hers. if I had mine to do over again I think I would probably do the cross member. A couple of pictures of my install.

327F47AE-73C4-4145-9080-F3BFAF69B25E.jpeg
3E5840F9-52CA-4091-89A8-EAB85BB2119F.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp
I did not order the cross member for mine, not sure if that was the best decision or not. For my wife’s JK I ordered the cross member as her was slightly damaged some by the PO. So I have the engine / oil skid transmission skid, and the transfer case skid plus cross member ordered for hers. if I had mine to do over again I think I would probably do the cross member. A couple of pictures of my install.

View attachment 119960View attachment 119961
Thank you!!! The pics are a great help:)

Reactions: mrjp