Shocks with reservoirs

Maximus

JK Enthusiast
Does anybody have shocks with reservoirs that drive mostly on the street? Just wondering why you chose to get them over a standard shock and if you think they’re overkill...

Reservoir shocks are absolutely worthless on the street unless it's merely for the bling factor.

They're meant for vehicles that see long periods of driving on washboard roads (i.e. trails, country roads, etc.). If you drive primarily on-road, they are a big waste of money.

If you spend your time driving fast through the desert or off-road, then you'll really notice a difference.

Heck, even if you do lots of speed off-roading and rock crawling they'd be pointless.

Reservoir shocks are absolutely worthless on the street unless it's merely for the bling factor.

They're meant for vehicles that see long periods of driving on washboard roads (i.e. trails, country roads, etc.). If you drive primarily on-road, they are a big waste of money.

If you spend your time driving fast through the desert or off-road, then you'll really notice a difference.

Heck, even if you do lots of speed off-roading and rock crawling they'd be pointless.

Yea I was going to mention the Bling thing but didn't want to offend someone that might have bought them for street use.

If you hang around here long enough, offending is not done intentionally but just sometimes part of an open and honest opinion.

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Yea I was going to mention the Bling thing but didn't want to offend someone that might have bought them for street use.

If people want to pay extra for the bling, it doesn't bother me. I mean I wouldn't do it personally, but I totally get it.

I would just hate to see someone buy them because they think they're going to make a difference on the street.

If you hang around here long enough, offending is not done intentionally but just sometimes part of an open and honest opinion.
To be honest, this site is a LOT more easy-going and ....I guess polite is the word to use....than another web forum I’ve been a part of. Seems to be less “know-it-alls” that are more willing to actually help then to be a dick with smart-ass remarks and answers

-Chris

Reactions: BLACKJKU
If people want to pay extra for the bling, it doesn't bother me. I mean I wouldn't do it personally, but I totally get it.

I would just hate to see someone buy them because they think they're going to make a difference on the street.
I would probably be one of those who MIGHT buy it for the bling....lol....but more importantly I was trying to find out if the reservoirs might add to the longevity of the shock. In reading through the responses I can see how they’re overkill for street use

Thanks 👍🏼

Reactions: Chris
To be honest, this site is a LOT more easy-going and ....I guess polite is the word to use....than another web forum I’ve been a part of. Seems to be less “know-it-alls” that are more willing to actually help then to be a dick with smart-ass remarks and answers

-Chris

Exact same reason I joined this Forum, Chris has a real nice Forum where Members can come and ask questions and show off there Jeeps without being Bashed and called Idiots. I know exactly which other Forum your talking about.

Reactions: Chris and Maximus
Exact same reason I joined this Forum, Chris has a real nice Forum where Members can come and ask questions and show off there Jeeps without being Bashed and called Idiots. I know exactly which other Forum your talking about.
Yeah great job Chris in maintaining a forum where people, like myself, can ask questions (and sometimes a lot of questions....lol) that might seem dumb or mundane to some but enough respect is given by others to answer them with the information needed by the OP.

The “other site” has recently changed their web design and not only is it not user friendly with a cell phone, but too many of their members, albeit knowledgeable, think they know EVERYTHING and think that everybody else should also. If I see something that I don’t think looks good from another member, I won’t say anything at all rather than giving a negative comment and making the OP feel embarrassed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris and BLACKJKU
Yeah great job Chris in maintaining a forum where people, like myself, can ask questions (and sometimes a lot of questions....lol) that might seem dumb or mundane to some but enough respect is given by others to answer them with the information needed by the OP.

The “other site” has recently changed their web design and not only is it not user friendly with a cell phone, but too many of their members, albeit knowledgeable, think they know EVERYTHING and think that everybody else should also. If I see something that I don’t think looks good from another member, I won’t say anything at all rather than giving a negative comment and making the OP feel embarrassed.

Thanks guys!

Yes, I have had such great success with the TJ Forum, that when many of it's members (who also own JKs) said I should create a JK sister forum, I figured I might as well.

If you spend any time over on that forum, you'll see it's about the friendliest bunch of folks there is. I want this place to turn out the same way as well. No one needs to be bashed, put down, or disrespected.

Hell, if someone wants to run the most expensive shocks they can buy and never off-road it a day in their life, that doesn't bother me one bit.

Also, I know what you mean about the other site. Up until 5 years ago I used to be a member there, but once Vertical Scope bought them out, that site went down hill fast.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
Thanks guys!

Yes, I have had such great success with the TJ Forum, that when many of it's members (who also own JKs) said I should create a JK sister forum, I figured I might as well.

If you spend any time over on that forum, you'll see it's about the friendliest bunch of folks there is. I want this place to turn out the same way as well. No one needs to be bashed, put down, or disrespected.

Hell, if someone wants to run the most expensive shocks they can buy and never off-road it a day in their life, that doesn't bother me one bit.

Also, I know what you mean about the other site. Up until 5 years ago I used to be a member there, but once Vertical Scope bought them out, that site went down hill fast.
I’ll stick with the VSS shocks....for a while....maybe upgrade them at some point down the road.

I think it’s funny how we all know which forum is the “big bad wolf” without mentions it’s name 🤣

Keep up the good work Chris 👍🏼

-Chris

I feel that if someone asks a question about something i'll try to give my honest opinion in a nice way, everyone has a right to make there Jeeps the way they want. And if I can't say something good or helpful i'll just say nothing, which from past experiences some have a problem with doing that. Keep up the good work and we'll help.

Reactions: Maximus
I feel that if someone asks a question about something i'll try to give my honest opinion in a nice way, everyone has a right to make there Jeeps the way they want. And if I can't say something good or helpful i'll just say nothing, which from past experiences some have a problem with doing that. Keep up the good work and we'll help.
I agree especially knowing they worked for the money that they just probably spent on doing something they think looks good and they’re entitled to that. It’s their Jeep....who am I to say what to do or criticize how it looks especially if I’m not asked. I’d rather not say anything at all than something cruel that I don’t agree with

I agree especially knowing they worked for the money that they just probably spent on doing something they think looks good and they’re entitled to that. It’s their Jeep....who am I to say what to do or criticize how it looks especially if I’m not asked. I’d rather not say anything at all than something cruel that I don’t agree with

I guess we sure got your original question way off topic but I guess you found out what you wanted to know anyway. Plus we got to vent about something, good to do right now.

Reactions: Maximus