Rubicon axles or re-gear?

Reagear sport axles or swap in Rubicon axles?

• Regear

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Used Rubicon axles?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
That is my major concern too but the seller said they were removed because he upgraded to 1 tons. Attached is the pic from the sellers ad. They definitely do look a little rough compared to the axles on my jeep.

View attachment 118328

Here are my 2 concerns 1st they are laying on the ground outside, the rotors are rusty so they have been there for a while. When the axles lay out like that for some time inside the center section any part of the metal that doesn't have gear oil on them will start to get surface rust. That would mean gears, pinion, and bearings that were out of the oil.

2nd thing is if he already has the best stock axles and upgrading to 1 tons or something else then that tells me that he might have been a hardcore crawler. That is what is hard on the internals and tubes.

I didn't think about the internals even getting surface rust if they had been sitting out for a while. 🤦‍♂️
Thanks for all the help guys! This is why I love this forum!! I've decided I'm just going to regear my current axles and save up for a new front dana 44 in the future.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
I didn't think about the internals even getting surface rust if they had been sitting out for a while. 🤦‍♂️
Thanks for all the help guys! This is why I love this forum!! I've decided I'm just going to regear my current axles and save up for a new front dana 44 in the future.

They also make what's called a lunchbox locker. I have one in the front Dana 60's on 2 of my trucks, and a old Square body I had one in the front of the Dana 44 on it. For what I use the trucks for they worked really well, some like them and some don't.

The issue with having them in the front of our Jeeps is that they don't have lockouts so when you turn you'll hear a clicking when it unlocks the axles to turn.

Reactions: mrjp
They also make what's called a lunchbox locker. I have one in the front Dana 60's on 2 of my trucks, and a old Square body I had one in the front of the Dana 44 on it. For what I use the trucks for they worked really well, some like them and some don't.

The issue with having them in the front of our Jeeps is that they don't have lockouts so when you turn you'll hear a clicking when it unlocks the axles to turn.
I was looking at getting a lunchbox locker in the front axle on my rig. Any recommendations on brand or are they all relatively the same? I know a few guys who have installed the Spartan brand lunchbox locker and they love it.

I was looking at getting a lunchbox locker in the front axle on my rig. Any recommendations on brand or are they all relatively the same? I know a few guys who have installed the Spartan brand lunchbox locker and they love it.

I have a Spartan in one of them and a Power Trax in the other and see no difference in how either one performs. Aussie also make a lunchbox locker.

One thing I noticed is that these axles are called I believe a New Generation Dana axle so make sure it's for the year of your Jeep.

Reactions: mrjp and Link1989
I'll take that front 44 if it's available and you don't want it... much better upgrade from a 30. The 30s bend especially once you put 37's on it and use them..

I've decided not to buy them. I'll see if I can post the add in here. I agree that a 44 is a nice upgrade from the 30 but my new plan is to save some money and replace with a crate dana 44 when I need new tires in a few years.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Here's the link for the axles I was looking at. They are the central indiana area. The guy quit talking to me after I asked him when he was available for me to look at them and if he'd allow me to take the diff covers off to inspect the gears.

• Sad
Here's the link for the axles I was looking at. They are the central indiana area. The guy quit talking to me after I asked him when he was available for me to look at them and if he'd allow me to take the diff covers off to inspect the gears.

Imagine that? Wise decision not to buy them, I was in a hurry one time and didn't inspect the gears and needless to say the axle was junk. It got water in it and full of rust, lucky I only paid $100.00 for it.