Rough Country drive shaft (u-joint style)

Raven10JK

Hello,

I got a 2010 2-door jk, base model, manual trans. Has a 4 inch lift and 37’s. The cv joints on the shaft kept blowing so I threw in a rough country rear drive shaft with a double Cardan joint on the t-case side.

While installing the driveshaft it was extremely hard to get it in. Had to compress the shaft a lot in order for it to pass the diff yoke. Even took a hammer to the shaft to get it in. I was doing it on my lunch break so it was quite rushed, but installed nonetheless. The new drive shaft is fully compressed when the jeep is on the ground. I thought for sure there should be some wiggle room. Almost like the driveshaft is too long. There’s also some vibration with the new shaft (probably because it’s fully compressed?). I don’t know too much about drive lines but I either got the wrong shaft or am doing something wrong.

I want to adjust the angle but can’t because I don’t have adjustable control arms. Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like you might of bought the 4 door drive shaft. Measure it. 42.625 collapsed is for a 4 door and 23.875 is for a 2 door.

Called rough country and they said adjustable rear control arms are needed 🙄. New question. Can I safely remove the rear drive shaft and use the front wheels in 4 high for short term?

Called rough country and they said adjustable rear control arms are needed 🙄. New question. Can I safely remove the rear drive shaft and use the front wheels in 4 high for short term?
Damn. Is that disclosed on their website? I've done it once in my WJ. Busted a U joint on the trail and drove it over an hour back home like that. I remember needing the e brake so it wouldn't roll away while in park. Not sure if the JK would be the same.

Damn. Is that disclosed on their website? I've done it once in my WJ. Busted a U joint on the trail and drove it over an hour back home like that. I remember needing the e brake so it wouldn't roll away while in park. Not sure if the JK would be the same.
The guy on rough country said it would be fine. He said he’s done it on his jk 🤷‍♂️. Figured I’d ask and see if anyone else has done it just in case this guy is talking out his you know what to get me off the phone 😂

• Haha
Reactions: JeepJeezy
Update: removed the rear drive shaft. Happy I posted here since it most likely saved my t case. I was looking at the rear axle alignment I guess you could say and it’s dang near perfect. I’m not sure why this driveshaft is too long.

Had the options of going adjustable rear control arms or taking the driveshaft to a driveline shop. I’ll most likely go to a driveline shop (keeps small businesses alive!). Maybe get the driveshaft shortened by 2 inches or so. The thing was completely collapsed when installed and settled. Completely collapsed, the driveshaft measures at 23.875”. Rough country swears up and down that it is the correct one.

A new question for everyone. Should the driveshaft length installed be around halfway extended? Trying to get measurements for the driveline shop.

I have a question. Is your slip yoke fully seated? My rear drive shaft does sit at the half way extended point.

Update: removed the rear drive shaft. Happy I posted here since it most likely saved my t case. I was looking at the rear axle alignment I guess you could say and it’s dang near perfect. I’m not sure why this driveshaft is too long.

Had the options of going adjustable rear control arms or taking the driveshaft to a driveline shop. I’ll most likely go to a driveline shop (keeps small businesses alive!). Maybe get the driveshaft shortened by 2 inches or so. The thing was completely collapsed when installed and settled. Completely collapsed, the driveshaft measures at 23.875”. Rough country swears up and down that it is the correct one.

A new question for everyone. Should the driveshaft length installed be around halfway extended? Trying to get measurements for the driveline shop.

Your driveshaft shop will tell you how to correctly measure for a driveshaft, that way it will fit like it's supposed to.

I just purchased the RC driveshaft for my lifted 3.5" RC lift with relocation brackets. Now I am also adding a complete set of RC Adjustable Control Arms, so I am hoping this all works together well. I cannot find an answer as to whether I need to remove the relocation brackets when adding the new Control Arms, or just adjust for the stock and keep them in place.

Called both Rough Country (RC), and ExtremeTerrain (where I bought the gear), and neither could answer the question. Do any of you know? It would seem that the whole reason for Adjustable arms is so you don't need the relocation brackets, but I'm not sure. I am also looking for the measurements for the arms lengths for my configuration. My ride is a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport (2-Door) with RC 3.5" lift, with 35's

I believe with adjustable CA’s the relocation brackets are not required. They adjustable CA’s will move the axle to help with caster / pinion angle.