Rock Rails

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
So my wife informs she doesn’t care the the steps on the Sahara that much and wants rock rails installed. She doesn’t want to spend too much but I told her no reason in getting something that doesn’t hold up. Anyone have a good suggestion on a decent priced rock rail that holds up. I looked on Rock Hard 4x4, but they want around $750 for a pair.

Are they for looks or will she be off roading with them? If for looks middle of the road should work.

Good HD ones won't be cheap, you can get cheap ones that will be just for looks and probably not a very good paint job on them.
What do you consider cheap? She has been looking at some around $350. I guess while not cheap, they seem cheap for what the purpose and compared to others.

Are they for looks or will she be off roading with them? If for looks middle of the road should work.
It’s a good question. I am not 100% sure how much four wheeling she will do it but it getting set up for it. I doubt serious rock crawling but I know they can be of good use.

I know these are definitely NOT cheap. Is your wife, um, vertically challenged? Do you have or plan to have much of a lift? I have Rockslide Engineering Step Sliders. At about $1800 they are far from the cheapest or even the best rock rails. They hold up as well as the factory ones (a bit better I would say), but are not made for serious rock smashing. However, they are great to get in and out of a lifted Jeep. My better half is 5' 3" and really appreciates them. Heck, so do I and my Jeep only has 2.5" and 35's. :)

You could always find a pair of OEM Rubi rails on Craigslist or FB Marketplace. I got a pair off of FB for I think $80 several years ago that I cut down for my son's '08 base model.

Last edited:
Reactions: Largehit71
She is a little vertically challenged, but the primary reason is for protection. I don’t envision much heavy duty rock crawling, like the Rubicon trail etc. but all do some rock crawling as I will do some some in my Rubi HR and she will want to follow at times. So looking for something in the middle of the road between price and durability.

I dont understand why people don't just sport the Mopar tubular rub rails. I found a used set for $140 on Marketplace. You can probably find them cheaper, TBH.

They fit perfectly and look great plus, double as a step without breaking the bank. The finish is fantastic and really durable. Better than, quite possibly, half or all aftermarket options.
Thank you for the input. Those hadn’t crossed my mind, even though I have the stock sliders on my HR. Probably more then she wants to spend, unless we can find used somewhere.

Reactions: Threepointsix
Thank you for the input. Those hadn’t crossed my mind, even though I have the stock sliders on my HR. Probably more then she wants to spend, unless we can find used somewhere.
Find them used. During the pandemic I found multiple used take-off sets on Facebook Marketplace and even Offer Up. Dont buy those new if you can avoid it. Id even try a wrecking yard. Used bumpers, fenders, etc are always a better option. Otherwise youre paying that premium. And so many of these aftermarket jams are straight BS.