Reset TPMS sensors - tire rotation

Danarch

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I am sure this has been discussed but didn’t see the thread. I looked in Jscan and didn’t see an option for it. When you rotate the tires is there a way to re-assign which tire is which for the TPMS? They would be all off. I know it can just be turned off, but not sure I want to do that yet. I’ve reassigned the pressures settings, which by the way seemed to be from a default set of values, the lowest I could go was 28 I think. I did not locate a place to set to a specific pressure.

You can adjust the setting/pressure which will trigger the dashboard warning light. I disabled the TPMS because it won't allow me to set the warning setting as low as I run my tires.

Reactions: Daddyo2373 and mrjp
You can put any tire on any wheel and it will still show which one is low, all 5 are the same frequency. Is that what you was wanting to know?

Reactions: Duster and mrjp
You can put any tire on any wheel and it will still show which one is low, all 5 are the same frequency. Is that what you was wanting to know?
Not exactly, the display shows RF, LF, RR, LR so when I rotate them the rears will be in the front, front in rear opposite sides etc. it won’t show the correct location. Guess if I have it on I’d like it to be accurate just not sure how to reassign them to the correct location.

You can adjust the setting/pressure which will trigger the dashboard warning light. I disabled the TPMS because it won't allow me to set the warning setting as low as I run my tires.
Exactly can’t set a pressure low enough when I air down. Figured I’d set it as low as possible and leave active so if they did drop below the 28 it would show. But after rotating it won’t show which tire is low. For instance it will show RF but actually may be the RR that is low.

Not exactly, the display shows RF, LF, RR, LR so when I rotate them the rears will be in the front, front in rear opposite sides etc. it won’t show the correct location. Guess if I have it on I’d like it to be accurate just not sure how to reassign them to the correct location.

If you search TPMS for your year they don't give a specific location for them. Some how the Jeep is smart enough to know which location is low.

Reactions: Duster
There is a separate receiver for each wheel. The TPMS is not programmed for a specific location. It just transmits.

If you search TPMS for your year they don't give a specific location for them. Some how the Jeep is smart enough to know which location is low.
Well that is interesting. Our Suburban was not that smart. Tires had been rotated a few times and then on a trip while at Yellowstone the TPMS went off and I had to figure out which tire it was as it was not the one shown on the display.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
I heard so much disparaging info, I had to test. I installed new tires last weekend. 2015 JKU. One sensor was dead, so I went to Advanced Auto, purchased a new Chrysler/Fiat exact replacement. I installed that one new sensor, swapped all tires, didn't keep track of locations (part if my test). Broke one good sensor (valve stem area). Took good stem from dead TPMS, put it on good TPMS with broken stem. One tire had brand new TPMS. All swapped into new locations. Drove home(2 miles), went about 50 mph. By the time I got home, all 4 were reading, even the new "unprogrammed". I read once that they locate via triangulation or reader proximity, that makes sense to me, via my test. All function perfectly , has been a week. No trip to dealer needed. I'm sure if you get 'universal' TPMS, you will need to see dealer. Hope this helps clear the air for some, my results on 2015 JKU Sahara Altitude.

Well that is interesting. Our Suburban was not that smart. Tires had been rotated a few times and then on a trip while at Yellowstone the TPMS went off and I had to figure out which tire it was as it was not the one shown on the display.

Thanks everyone.
General Motors for you. ;)