Need advice with engine replacement options

Which replacement engine?

• Total voters

Moab

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
2012 JKU. No mods. Excellent condition. 122k.

This year Jeep had two recalls - bad rockers that tore into cams and warped heads. Neither of which were replaced by previous owner. And recall is expired.

Having rockers replaced. Mechanic noted first cam he uncovered needs replaced. So probably will have to replace otherside too.

I don't know if either head is warped. I am having a bad coolant smell in cab whenever fan is running. AC, Heat or just Fan. Heater core does NOT show any signs of leak. No coolant in floorboards. Coolant is not leaking anywhere in the engine comoartment. But front of Jeep stinks of coolant once parked after driving it. I've replaced the radiator and oil cooler.

At this point I am at least $3000 into these repairs - if I continue. We've stopped once we found the bad cam.

At 122k I think the best decision is to just replace the engine. If I end up having to replace a head I am beyond the point of a new engine.

So replacement options are:

Jasper/Powertrain reman.
Fraser reman.
Used engine.

*Both reman options have an install package for an additional $500. I have not compared them.

1) Jasper reman is $5,746.56 total w/ tax/shipping.
5 yr warranty. Does NOT list miles. Need to read the actual warranty.

2) Fraser reman is $5798 total w/ tax/shipping.
5yr/Unlimited mile warranty. Have not read the fine print. Website says - "BUILT ABOVE OEM SPECIFICATIONS WITH ALL TSB UPDATES APPLIED." I don't know what "tsb updates means".

3) Used engine:
There is a junkyard in the midwest that always has a large stock of used Jeep JKU engines. 1yr warranty iirc. Probably just ship a replacement - nothing more. For about $2800 plus shipping iirc. Example - 78k miles 2014 JKU engine (In 2013 they changed the rockers to good ones and the heads to ones that didn't warp.) I think that price includes the entire engine. Not just the long block.

I'm inclined to go with a reman. Considering all the problems my current engine has - and has had for some time. It seems better to avoid all of those problems for an engine that has been remanufactured to oem or above specs. With 0 miles and not 122k miles. Who knows what else is going to go bad over the coming years?

Installation is someplace between $1800 and $2500. Waiting on a quote from my specific mechanic.

On the highend that's $8500 for a reman replacement. Plus misc water pump etc. But I paid 10k below bluebook for this Jeep. So it's not a total loss.

Advice needed:

1) Am I thinking correctly about replacing the motor? And about using a reman over used?

2) Which remanufacturer should I choose?

3) What am I not asking that I should be?

From what I’ve read Jasper has fixed a lot of the issues with the 3.6 engine. They seem to have a good reputation and I’ll probably go that route when the time comes. I agree at $3K I’d look at replacing the entire too.

3) Used engine:
The only used engine I would even consider is a lower mileage 16-18. There were still instances of head and rocker past 2013. When I bought my JK I chose to pay a bit more to get a later MY. I have heard good reports from both Jasper and Fraser. I would lean towards Jasper just based on first-hand experience I have working in the industry with them...

I voted Fraser. TSB is Technical Service Bulletin. It's a form of communication to the dealership to let them know there is an issue with a part or parts of a vehicle. It's not severe enough to be a recall.

Reactions: BLACKJKU
IMG_0138.jpeg