Replacing ECU

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
When purchasing a replacement ECU, they require the VIN to "program" it correctly.
I assume this means to get all of the settings for things such as lights, door locks, etc. that may be different from another model.

I gave them my VIN and confirmed it, then placed my order.

"New" ECU arrived today and I began what I expected to be an easy 1,2,3-type swap; disconnect battery, remove aux relay box to access the ECU connections, then do a quick R&R on the ECU, relay box, and battery connections.
Everything went as expected up to this point, then I started the vehicle.

It ran smoothly for about 5-10 seconds then stalled.
I started it again w/ the same result.
I repeated this effort maybe 10 times, all stalling after a few seconds as if the key wasn't programmed or the power was cut.

I decided to try the OBDII reader and my JSCAN program to check for codes.

Now my JSCAN license does not recognize the new ECU and I cannot perform the diagnostics.
In addition, when I tried to restart the vehicle, I get NOTHING. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

This Jeep is really getting on my LAST nerve.

For the record, anyone who sees this should ONLY ever order replacement ECUs from Wrangler Fix.

I know Mark personally and he is the most stand-up guy you'll ever meet. There is quite literally no one better in the business of replacement ECUs and programming than Mark at Wrangler Fix.

Maybe you could put a link to him in the Resources so he's easy to find.

Yes, I reached out to the vendor...

3 times now and no reply. :mad:

Am I correct that the VIN reported back to JSCAN from the ECU needs to match the original VIN in order for JSCAN to work correctly/fully?
That makes sense.
My real question is regarding the VIN code IN the replacement ECU software... shouldn't the replacement ECU essentially be a CLONE of my original (minus any changes made w/ JSCAN)?

I'm losing what's left of my patience on this thing.

For the record, anyone who sees this should ONLY ever order replacement ECUs from Wrangler Fix.

I know Mark personally and he is the most stand-up guy you'll ever meet. There is quite literally no one better in the business of replacement ECUs and programming than Mark at Wrangler Fix.
I was going to mention Mark but wasn’t sure if he did JK’s too.

Yes, I reached out to the vendor...

3 times now and no reply. :mad:

Am I correct that the VIN reported back to JSCAN from the ECU needs to match the original VIN in order for JSCAN to work correctly/fully?
That makes sense.
My real question is regarding the VIN code IN the replacement ECU software... shouldn't the replacement ECU essentially be a CLONE of my original (minus any changes made w/ JSCAN)?

I'm losing what's left of my patience on this thing.

Re: Jscan - yes, it's only licensed to one VIN. Your replacement ECU should be identical to your original to work correctly. IF your vendor continues to ignore you, contact your credit card and dispute the transaction. That'll get them to call you.