Replacing bumper on 2018 JKU

smbakke77

Need some help on this. I have a 2018 Unlimited JKU that someone backed into the front bumper. I purchased a replacement and have been attempting to change it out and after a struggle I did get the outside ones off but the inside bolts on the bumper are difficult to get to with my ratchet set as there is not a lot of space. Anyone have any tips or suggestions to help?

Do you have a winch or anything installed or just the stock bumpers? They are in a tight space that is for sure. A swivel adapter and extensions will help. If you have an impact wrench that can help a lot too.

Also remove the plastic top trim piece and you can get a couple of them form the top. You may need to undo the brake vacuum booster pump, but I don’t think you will.

Reactions: BigAL07
Do you have a winch or anything installed or just the stock bumpers? They are in a tight space that is for sure. A swivel adapter and extensions will help. If you have an impact wrench that can help a lot too.

Also remove the plastic top trim piece and you can get a couple of them form the top. You may need to undo the brake vacuum booster pump, but I don’t think you will.
Just the stock bumper. I have an extension but it didn't give me any leverage to break the nuts. I'll have to try a swivel adapter or impact wrench. Thanks for the suggestions.

Just the stock bumper. I have an extension but it didn't give me any leverage to break the nuts. I'll have to try a swivel adapter or impact wrench. Thanks for the suggestions.
Spray some rust fluid on them, like PB Blaster or something and let it sit for a little bit. That might loosen them up some. Get a breaker bar or a pipe you can install over the rachet to get a little more leverage.

Thanks. I'll try the rust fluid first.
And thanks for the reminder. We plan on removing my son’s front bumber on his 2007 this Saturday to install a new bumber and need to do the same thing, spray those bolts / nuts 😳!

I did remove the trim piece and the splash guard underneath to give me more room, it's part of the frame I believe that is giving me a tight squeeze. But I'll keep trying...definitely want to do more updating myself instead of relying on others, other than suggestions and tips in here :)

The plastic shrouds on top and underneath are plastic and, once removed, will allow easy access to the bumper bolts. Keep in mind they are bolted to the frame and will need a ton of torque. An impact wrench will help.
Neither shroud fit after the new bumper was installed.

If your not in a big hurry to change out the bumper soak em down a couple times a day for a few days. I did that on my o2 sensors and they came right out ez-pz on the first shot.

Reactions: mrjp
Updating here...the 15MM bolts holding the metal frame to the plastic bumper cover were pulled out with the threaded bushing when I unbolted them. Has this happened to anyone else? It's been an issue trying to get those 4 bolts removed to drop the metal frame in the new bumper. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I am little confused, probably because I didn’t remove the plastic part of the bumper from the metal part of the bumper. I guess if the threaded bushings came out then what would be left holding the bolts in place? Any pictures?

As you can see here, the bolts are threading into the bushings and the new bumpers already has new bushings in it for the bolts to thread into. I can't seem to get the bolt to unthread from the old bushings.
IMG_6117.jpg

So I assume you tried a vice-grip on the bushing and it won’t hold? Could spray some penetrating oil on them and see if that helps. Also if you have access to heat (torch) that may help. Maybe last resort is to use a die grinder to try and cut a groove in the bushing then when close a hammer and chisel to get the rest off. Except looks like it would be hard to get close enough for the entire bushing.

So I assume you tried a vice-grip on the bushing and it won’t hold? Could spray some penetrating oil on them and see if that helps. Also if you have access to heat (torch) that may help. Maybe last resort is to use a die grinder to try and cut a groove in the bushing then when close a hammer and chisel to get the rest off. Except looks like it would be hard to get close enough for the entire bushing.
I did try a vice grip. Going for the penetrating oil next. Will report back after the weekend. I’ll be away until Monday.

Reactions: Danarch
I have a dumb question / thought, I am wondering if they are supposed to come out? Are there others that came out? Just wondering if they are pressed on one way.

WD40 and a little help from my wife did the trick. After soaking all 4 bolts for a while, I held down the vice grips and she was able to get the bolts undone. New bumper is on and looking good.

IMG_6154.jpg