Replace Water Pump when replacing Belt???

JB_USMC

Hi all,
I am about to replace to my serpentine belt and wondering if I need to address any other parts while in there, like the water pump? Thanks.
2012 JKU 115,000mi
Squealing on start up has gotten much worse recently but eventually will go away once warmed up. I do not have much automotive maintenance experience but not afraid to break to it in order to fix it!
Jeff B.

When you have the belt off, try to rock the pulley of the pump side to side. Any play would indicate worn bearings and I would replace. Also, check for any signs of dampness weeping out of the water pump. Could be a gasket, but at that mileage, I would replace. I had one go and it just puked coolant. I was amazed at how much came out... never had one fail as dramatically as that before.

I agree with @BLACKJKU and would replace the tensioner - just as a preventative maintenance. If everything else looks good, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Hi all,
I am about to replace to my serpentine belt and wondering if I need to address any other parts while in there, like the water pump? Thanks.
2012 JKU 115,000mi
Squealing on start up has gotten much worse recently but eventually will go away once warmed up. I do not have much automotive maintenance experience but not afraid to break to it in order to fix it!
Jeff B.

Idler pulley is a great thing to also do while you're at it.

Reactions: Lxxtsy and JB_USMC
Hi all,
2012 JKU 115,000mi
Jeff B.

While you're at it, don't forget one of these.

41wzgNZbg-L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Wow! It's been a long time since I have seen Chesty!
I had almost forgotten him.
We were told about the time he took a bunch of Marines on a 20 mile march. He ordered every man to bring extra socks.
At the halfway point he told them to pull out their fresh socks, and the men who didn't bring them had to finish the exercise without socks. He did it to emphasize the importance of taking care of your feet.
Did you guys hear that story?

Reactions: Vman
Wow! It's been a long time since I have seen Chesty!
I had almost forgotten him.
We were told about the time he took a bunch of Marines on a 20 mile march. He ordered every man to bring extra socks.
At the halfway point he told them to pull out their fresh socks, and the men who didn't bring them had to finish the exercise without socks. He did it to emphasize the importance of taking care of your feet.
Did you guys hear that story?

Every Marine learns that lesson on the first or second hump. Nothing in the world like having sand work it's way into your jungle boot valves and having that giant blood blister on the bottom of your foot go pop. Then you realize you've got 4 more miles to go. Good times.

I just got a 11 jk (108kmiles)bout 4 months ago and have had a list of issues since , basically catching up all the maintenance that was never done. During the research on the issues what I came across was indicating that the water pump, coil pack, antifreeze, timing chain, ect have a 100k suggested maintenance. I've done the coil, wires and plugs. Which gave the jeep a new life, I had thought was the tires and lift, but was the ignition system that was sluggish. Flushed the radiator and new water pump, thermostat, antifreeze, and belt. I've done the gas cap and new gaskets on the evap can, already had gas cap light. I'm doing wheel sensors all the way around, I'm having occasional Traction control issue. Also changed the rear end and trans fluid, based off everything else felt better. Done a few other things but the oil pan gasket and timing chain is on my next to do, was really surprised to find out about the rtv corners on the 3.8 and should have done the timing chain while the water pump and other but didn't read about that till after. I am curious if there's anything else that should be done up to 100k