Recommended tire pressure for 35 tires?

AUBoggs

Just Empty'n Every Pocket
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
I've read multiple posts relative to tire pressure. I have a 3.5" lift with 35s with recommended pressure of 36psi. When I bought the Jeep (used) with the suspension and tire mods already on it, the tire pressure was all over the place ranging from 34 to 44. The ride home on the interstate was interesting... I've since aired all to 36 and the ride has been better but after reading the posts, I plan to drop to 30. The tires are Fuel Gripper XT 35x12.5x20. Many thanks to all who have posted on this topic. Will let y'all know how it rides.

I do quite a bit of off road. Ive got 35's and have settled on 24lbs. Good on Hwy and smoother dirt roads. If I good on rough trails ill drop to about 10, otherwise i've found 24 to be a good compromise for street and trail.

36 psi? Wow, that's way too much.

You should be running around 26-28 psi at most. With 36 psi it's going to ride terrible. I have run 26 psi in all of my 35" tires for years and years now. Done plenty of chalk tests too, and 26 psi is the sweet spot.

36 psi is great if you like jarring rides ;)

Reactions: AUBoggs and mrjp
I do quite a bit of off road. Ive got 35's and have settled on 24lbs. Good on Hwy and smoother dirt roads. If I good on rough trails ill drop to about 10, otherwise i've found 24 to be a good compromise for street and trail.
No issues with premature tire wear at 24 on the highway?
36 psi? Wow, that's way too much.

You should be running around 26-28 psi at most. With 36 psi it's going to ride terrible. I have run 26 psi in all of my 35" tires for years and years now. Done plenty of chalk tests too, and 26 psi is the sweet spot.

36 psi is great if you like jarring rides ;)
I'm going to drop to 26. I have a Flashcal F5 and can adjust the tpms If needed. Thanks.

Reactions: mrjp

I'm going to drop to 26. I have a Flashcal F5 and can adjust the tpms If needed. Thanks.

26 psi, but no, no issues whatsoever.

Believe me when I say switching to 26 psi will be lift changing. It sounds too low, but I've found it to be the literal sweet spot.

I think 26 is a great place to start. I've got a new set of Mickey Thompsons with only 3k miles on them so I really can't say about tire wear yet. I just do alot of rough gravel roads so trying to see what i can get away with.

Reactions: mrjp
Why does the tire say 65 psi?
The max PSI is if you're carrying the maximum weight rated for that tire. A vehicle has its weight distributed amongst all four tires. The max PSI for the maximum weight that one tire can bear, is what is on the sidewall.

Many times the tires we put on our Jeeps are extreme Overkill as far as weight ratings go. One tire could practically carry the entire weight of the entire Jeep. That's why a chalk test is a pretty good way to measure what works for your vehicle loaded the way you have it at Each corner

Reactions: BigAL07 and mrjp
26 psi, but no, no issues whatsoever.

Believe me when I say switching to 26 psi will be lift changing. It sounds too low, but I've found it to be the literal sweet spot.
Chris- I do 75% freeway/ 20% city/ 5% Offroad driving. Would you still suggest 26psi or a little higher28-30? Thanks in advance!

The ideal pressure varies a LOT from one tire or one vehicle to another. Most of the big off-road oriented tires available are designed for bigger, heavier things. Like 1-ton trucks carrying a load. As a result, if you run that pressure your tire will not make contact across the entire tread. 26PSI seems to be common for the JK, and if you run that, you will probably be close. But a chalk test is the best way to find the correct number for your specific setup.

I had a YJ on 40x14 bias ply Swamper IROKs that liked 18PSI...

The ideal pressure varies a LOT from one tire or one vehicle to another. Most of the big off-road oriented tires available are designed for bigger, heavier things. Like 1-ton trucks carrying a load. As a result, if you run that pressure your tire will not make contact across the entire tread. 26PSI seems to be common for the JK, and if you run that, you will probably be close. But a chalk test is the best way to find the correct number for your specific setup.

I had a YJ on 40x14 bias ply Swamper IROKs that liked 18PSI...
I just bought a 2015 Wrangler Sport - 2 door, a few months ago.

I have Mickey Thompson Baja STZ 315/70R17 tires with 38psi and it was a rough ride. Tonight I lowered all 4 tires to 34psi but after reading all the posts it seems like this is still way to high. I haven’t done a chaulk test yet but will try it this weekend.

Currently I do all city driving but next month I’m taking a 195 mile highway trip to the Florida Keys. Do I adjust the psi for city and highway?