Rear License Plate Holder

Anybodyhome

USN Retired (1973-1993)
Supporting Member
2014 JKU- any recommendations on a legit license plate holder with, you know, 4 screws that hold in place rather than the 2 screws and a couple nubs?

I've hated it for years and I'm about ready to do my own shop mods and make it a 4-bolt frame.

There are lot of mods for the rear license plat holder. The tricky part is that many either disregard a light over the plate which, at least some, states require - California does. Many also assume you'll dismount your spare. You can find them everywhere from eBay, Rugged Ridge, and Extreme Terrain to Morris 4X4. Another problem with mounting on the spare is that it's in the way if you want to include your spare in the tire rotation sequence.

There are lot of mods for the rear license plat holder. The tricky part is that many either disregard a light over the plate which, at least some, states require - California does. Many also assume you'll dismount your spare. You can find them everywhere from eBay, Rugged Ridge, and Extreme Terrain to Morris 4X4. Another problem with mounting on the spare is that it's in the way if you want to include your spare in the tire rotation sequence.
I have an LED light and backup camera mounted to the plate. The wires are easily accessible and easily disconnect to remove the spare. Takes me an extra 5 mins to remove the spare.

The factory plate holder doesn't even fit for Canadian plates. I had to bend the corners and bolt holes of my plates to get them mounted. At first I thought it was just Alberta plates but I've lived in two other provinces since then and they're the same.

Reactions: TROY66/68
The factory plate holder doesn't even fit for Canadian plates. I had to bend the corners and bolt holes of my plates to get them mounted. At first I thought it was just Alberta plates but I've lived in two other provinces since then and they're the same.
You should petition your governments to make the plates the right size. 'Muirca!

Last edited:
Hmm this got me to thinking too, because the factory bracket is kinda crappy and doesn't hold it's shape to the plate. I found one that mounts to the tailgate handle but I think it's for foreign plates (not tall enough). It would be cool if I could find a billet mount with a built in light that mounts to the bumper

Reactions: Speartip
My factory plate holder worked fine for BC
Maybe your holder is a dud?

• Sad
Reactions: TROY66/68
2014 JKU- any recommendations on a legit license plate holder with, you know, 4 screws that hold in place rather than the 2 screws and a couple nubs?

I've hated it for years and I'm about ready to do my own shop mods and make it a 4-bolt frame.
What do you have for a plate holder now?
This is what's on mine and holds plate really well.
Plate light works, top of bumper so doesn't get
ripped off while on the trails. Molded to corner
of Jeep. No complaints .
IMG_2255.JPG

What do you have for a plate holder now?
This is what's on mine and holds plate really well.
Plate light works, top of bumper so doesn't get
ripped off while on the trails. Molded to corner
of Jeep. No complaints .View attachment 123970
I know my plate holder was, out of nowhere, attacked by a very small tree at that same spot. That's why I moved mine. This is the plate light I'm using.

Screenshot_20230321_043043.jpg

I know my plate holder was, out of nowhere, attacked by a very small tree at that same spot. That's why I moved mine. This is the plate light I'm using.

View attachment 123973

Ok Gotcha . Yeah if a tree rubbed it up very close could see it breaking away . Those trees that pop up out of nowhere
can be a PITA

Mine is held together with some Gorilla tape (light still works ), after my wife backed into a post late at night. The dealership wanted $175 for a new assembly here. One of these days Alice.

Reactions: Speartip and mrjp
I have an LED light and backup camera mounted to the plate. The wires are easily accessible and easily disconnect to remove the spare. Takes me an extra 5 mins to remove the spare.
"Extra five minutes," there you go, just like I said. Us old guys don't even know whether we can buy green bananas or not.

Last edited: