Question about LED's

WestSideKen

I'm sure there are answers out there, but I'm having trouble finding them.
2011 Sport 2 door:
Replaced headlights with LED fixtures, and connected halo to running light. ALL GOOD
then, replaced front turn signals and side markers with LED fixtures . ALL GOOD
then, replaced back up with LED bulbs. ALL GOOD.
then replaced stop/turn with LED bulbs. Hyperflashing.
Put the original incandescents back in- still hyperflashing.
Swapped whole taillight assemblies (with built in resistors) out with LED's - still hyperflashing.
Doesn't hyperflash with 4 ways.
Could I have damaged the circuit board where the flasher assembly is?
Do I HAVE to ground both resistors on taillights?
Or will I have to put resistors on the front turn signals, also?

I know this is a lot, but any help is appreciated.

I'm sure there are answers out there, but I'm having trouble finding them.
2011 Sport 2 door:
Replaced headlights with LED fixtures, and connected halo to running light. ALL GOOD
then, replaced front turn signals and side markers with LED fixtures . ALL GOOD
then, replaced back up with LED bulbs. ALL GOOD.
then replaced stop/turn with LED bulbs. Hyperflashing.
Put the original incandescents back in- still hyperflashing.
Swapped whole taillight assemblies (with built in resistors) out with LED's - still hyperflashing.
Doesn't hyperflash with 4 ways.
Could I have damaged the circuit board where the flasher assembly is?
Do I HAVE to ground both resistors on taillights?
Or will I have to put resistors on the front turn signals, also?

I know this is a lot, but any help is appreciated.

I think if you was to get JScan you can make a setting to fix the LED's problem. I'm sure someone will let you know because there has been discussion before.

Electrically, 2011 wranglers are odd. You still have the 3.8 engine, but you have the updated interior. With that, hopefully the LED option is there for your Jscan. (it's a great app no matter what year your JK)

I've specifically stayed away from LED turn signals for this reason. I would 100% not do the LED bulbs due to the poor light pattern. (unless they've fixed it) Most were actually dimmer than the standard bulbs.

I'm actually quite surprised you didn't have hyperflashing after replacing the front turn signals. How long did you leave it like that? The computer can take a bit to recognize. Did you replace all the standard lights or just the rear. The headlights should have no effect, nor should the halos if they are installed correctly. (and if they are the cheap type wired correctly from the factory) Though I would disconnect the halo until you find the issue.

It's unlikely you damaged the computer, however you may need to reset it.

Electrically, 2011 wranglers are odd. You still have the 3.8 engine, but you have the updated interior. With that, hopefully the LED option is there for your Jscan. (it's a great app no matter what year your JK)

I've specifically stayed away from LED turn signals for this reason. I would 100% not do the LED bulbs due to the poor light pattern. (unless they've fixed it) Most were actually dimmer than the standard bulbs.

I'm actually quite surprised you didn't have hyperflashing after replacing the front turn signals. How long did you leave it like that? The computer can take a bit to recognize. Did you replace all the standard lights or just the rear. The headlights should have no effect, nor should the halos if they are installed correctly. (and if they are the cheap type wired correctly from the factory) Though I would disconnect the halo until you find the issue.

It's unlikely you damaged the computer, however you may need to reset it.
Every light on her is LED, inside and out. It was around 2 weeks between putting the front LED's in and putting the rears in.
I wish it were as simple as changing out the flasher relay, like on earlier models :confused:

I do not think the 2011 has the LED option in JScan. My wife's JKUR does not, but it's a transition year, so it's possible some do. You'll still want JScan for a multitude of other uses.
Every light on her is LED, inside and out. It was around 2 weeks between putting the front LED's in and putting the rears in.
I wish it were as simple as changing out the flasher relay, like on earlier models :confused:
I hear you there, changing out the flasher module would be much easier. If what @Dirty Dog says is the case, I'm not sure what you can do. I experimented with LEDs on my past 2014 (may it rest in piece) and never had any luck beyond the headlights. This was before I had JScan, but I had the app for half that vehicles life and I feel I would have spotted the option.

Edit:
-OK, after poking around on my 2009 I was able to set the headlights to LED.. even though it says "only available on 2011+" So given that, you may be in luck. That being said, I don't see a turn signal adaptation in the settings, even in demo mode. This may have been why I gave up with the 2014 Jeep. It could be however that the demo is using the 2009 license and showing me the modules available to me.

I'm a big believer in the safety equipment a vehicle has. I think one of the worst thing on the road is blackout lights. They make it harder for others to see the lights doing their job. My experience with LED bulbs was the same. Short of replacing the whole housing, and many of those don't blink to the side for rear, they were dimmer than standard bulbs. The other part is that hyperflashing is also a safety feature. It tells you when a bulb goes out.

I hope you can get it working, or somebody that had better luck than I, pops in.

I hear you there, changing out the flasher module would be much easier. If what @Dirty Dog says is the case, I'm not sure what you can do. I experimented with LEDs on my past 2014 (may it rest in piece) and never had any luck beyond the headlights. This was before I had JScan, but I had the app for half that vehicles life and I feel I would have spotted the option.

Edit:
-OK, after poking around on my 2009 I was able to set the headlights to LED.. even though it says "only available on 2011+" So given that, you may be in luck. That being said, I don't see a turn signal adaptation in the settings, even in demo mode. This may have been why I gave up with the 2014 Jeep. It could be however that the demo is using the 2009 license and showing me the modules available to me.

I'm a big believer in the safety equipment a vehicle has. I think one of the worst thing on the road is blackout lights. They make it harder for others to see the lights doing their job. My experience with LED bulbs was the same. Short of replacing the whole housing, and many of those don't blink to the side for rear, they were dimmer than standard bulbs. The other part is that hyperflashing is also a safety feature. It tells you when a bulb goes out.

I hope you can get it working, or somebody that had better luck than I, pops in.
So this is crazy. I think maybe the computer needed to relearn the sequence or something, because now everything works just fine and I haven't done anything to it since I posted this 🤷.
Thanks for everybody's help.

So this is crazy. I think maybe the computer needed to relearn the sequence or something, because now everything works just fine and I haven't done anything to it since I posted this 🤷.
Thanks for everybody's help.
That is possible. I know for some things, the computer "learns" after a certain number of on off cycles. Lights could be the same. Congrats.

Reactions: WestSideKen