Question about buying a non running JK

phillip.hall.jr

So, i am looking at a jeep. Shocker. 2013, unlimited sport, 138,000 miles. Private seller says it is not running and he doesn’t know whats wrong. I am not worried about working on something, but i am unsure the value of one not running. Is there something anyone can point me to, to value the jeep? I dont want to make an unwarranted low ball offer, but i think what he is asking for the condition it is in is a tad high at $8k…it does look to have a lift, in the pics he says he has doors and carpet, but i dont see the fenders, and obviously there are some blemishes. Again, i dont mind putting in the work, sort of gives me a chance to do it my way i guess you could say…

Thanks! I am hoping to join your ranks!!!

There could be anywhere from 1 to 1,000 things causing it to not run. If your good mechanically and electronics it would be easier for you, i'd expect the worse needing a engine, ECM, TIPM.

Sounds way to much for me.

"It doesn't run" could mean anything. Is it out of gas, or is the engine seized? Lacking more specific information, I'd assume it's just a rolling chassis, and $8K seems a lot. I'd think more like $3-5K, depending on what's been upgraded.

Reactions: JerryD and BLACKJKU
There could be anywhere from 1 to 1,000 things causing it to not run. If your good mechanically and electronics it would be easier for you, i'd expect the worse needing a engine, ECM, TIPM.

Sounds way to much for me.
Agree. I would go into it assuming it needs an engine. So figure $6k for a reman plus install, which you can do yourself. At that mileage I would also assume your into it for consumables - brakes, shocks, exhaust, steering components, clutch (if it's a manual), radiator, tires, etc. I tend to look at any aftermarket parts as liabilities, not assets, so those would reduce the value unless he has documentation and it is exactly what you want. So you could easily have $10k out of pocket + the vehicle cost. Look up the value using your website of choice but it's probably in the neighborhood of $16k private party just guessing. I would say he's at least $2k too high... That is with you accepting all the labor.

To me it sounds like it was kind of thrashed. Your money, but I wouldn't bother unless you want a project with a lot of unknowns. No fenders, carpet or doors? Wasn't a grocery getter...

Reactions: tJKrider