Project Detonator - My 2016 JKUR Hard Rock Edition

Got the spare tire mounted and the carrier adjusted. Turned out well. Darn tire is heavy!

To my surprise, the winch delivered already. Looks like I mounted the front bumper perfectly. The winch fit and is just barely touching the grill. Glad I didn't push it back any further.

Lastly, the Jeep is scheduled to go in for the Metalcloak 3.5" lift in 10 days. I just couldn't wait any longer to throw the wheels and tires on to see what it looks like. Yeah, I'm liking it.

IMG_20200912_183238.jpg

IMG_20200912_183220.jpg

IMG_20200912_183250.jpg

Last edited:
I just got the Jeep back from the shop a few minutes ago. They installed the Metalcloak 3.5 game changer suspension with Rocksport shocks. Also added the Metalcloak heavy duty steering components and Tom Wood 1350 front and rear drive shafts.

Axles got Apex truss front and rear and added Artec inner C gussets as well. I have a few parts at home that I will be installing over the next week or so. Time to save up some more money! Here are a couple pictures of the front and rear suspension.

PXL_20201008_221456507.jpg
PXL_20201008_221520416.jpg

Last edited:
When I put the VKS front bumper on, I needed to relocate the vacuum pump. I temporarily had it zip tied in place. I purchased the Teraflex bracket. I liked where it relocated the pump since I also plan on adding a sPod in the future. Some kits relocate the vacuum pump to where I plan on installing that sPod. I also finished installing the synthetic winch line and added a Factor 55 flat link.

PXL_20201011_015743521.jpg
PXL_20201011_015806870.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tahdi and mrjp
When I bought my Jeep it had a small dent down on the passenger side rocker panel. That was probably the only reason I purchased the titan tub armor from Nemesis. I had them color matched the same time I had the fenders painted. I got them installed yesterday. Can't hardly tell they are there.

PXL_20201011_162812249.jpg
PXL_20201011_163136315.jpg
PXL_20201011_174245890.jpg

Reactions: Tahdi and mrjp
I found some time to get these Rock Slide Engineering Step Sliders mounted this weekend. I promised my wife if I lifted this Jeep I would buy these. She really likes them for getting in and out. I opted for the additional armor, lights, and door delete as well. Here are a few pictures of the sliders and one of the Jeep after the lift.

PXL_20201017_170336571.jpg

PXL_20201017_170343204.jpg

PXL_20201017_170357276.jpg

PXL_20201017_170625012.jpg

Damn, really liking the way it's turning out.

I love those steps too, my only issue is that in the rocks, they would likely get broken or damaged enough to render them non-functional. However, if you aren't playing in the rocks, they would be perfect.

Reactions: mrjp and Qaddiction
Damn, really liking the way it's turning out.

I love those steps too, my only issue is that in the rocks, they would likely get broken or damaged enough to render them non-functional. However, if you aren't playing in the rocks, they would be perfect.

Yeah, I'm hoping the additional armor I opted for on the steps will help with any damage/functionality. Time will tell. It's definitely not being built for a dedicated rock crawler. However, I do want it to be capable given the opportunity. The rig is more capable now and I am definitely liking the looks. It's time to start focusing on some creature comforts and overlanding ability. I have a few things sitting in the garage I need to start installing. Just can't find the time.

Reactions: mrjp
Yeah, I'm hoping the additional armor I opted for on the steps will help with any damage/functionality. Time will tell. It's definitely not being built for a dedicated rock crawler. However, I do want it to be capable given the opportunity. The rig is more capable now and I am definitely liking the looks. It's time to start focusing on some creature comforts and overlanding ability. I have a few things sitting in the garage I need to start installing. Just can't find the time.

I think you can make it work just fine with those steps, even in the rocks. The trick of course will be knowing the obstacles very well, and most importantly having a very good spotter who can guide you over anything that might potentially damage them.

I know what you mean though about wanting to have something that is capable but still not a full-on dedicated rock crawler. I've got the same thing going with mine where I take it in the rocks and do some pretty gnarly stuff, but I also don't want to completely fuck it up, as it's a very nice rig and I take pride in it being that way.

Reactions: mrjp and Qaddiction
I've been crazy busy with work the last several weeks. The bad thing is, I haven't had time to work on the Jeep. The good thing is, I have earned some extra money to buy parts for the Jeep! I made a little time today to install a couple of those items.

The first is a dual ARB air compressor. I used the mounting bracket and accessories from Innovative Products. This kit allowed me to mount the compressor under the passenger seat inside the cab. It gives me quick disconnects by the driver and passenger seats (blue circles). I have everything mounted and plumbed. The wires are ran into the engine bay. I just didn't finish the wiring because I plan to hook it up to an sPod which I haven't installed yet.

The second product is a Vector E-Dock for the dash. I had a hard time with this decision. I initially wanted to install a Rock Hard cage in my rig and mount accessories to it. I eventually talked myself out of it. With this being geared more towards overlanding, I felt it was unnecessary. I will install a cage in the TJ instead. So far I added a couple 67 Design phone mounts to the E-Dock. I also ordered a mount for the Superchips Trailcal as well. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I really don't like the looks of the suction cup mount. Here are a few pictures.

PXL_20201206_174404266.jpg

PXL_20201206_174418723.jpg

PXL_20201206_174533700.jpg

PXL_20201206_174544712.jpg

Last edited:
I finally grew tired of the stock headlights. I ended up buying the JW Speaker J3 Heated Graphite headlights. I wasn't planning on buying the heated version, but Northridge was out of stock on the non-heated and had a Black Friday sale on these. I couldn't take the stock lights any longer so I made the move. I got them installed and adjusted them. I was brighted once on my way into work. Looks like I will need to adjust a little further. These lights are so much better than the stock headlights.

I also picked up the set of JW Speaker Trail 6 Pro's since they had them on sale as well. I wanted to add some sort of fog light on the front. I don't have the most space on my bumper, so I figured these might be my best solution. I also like the fact that I can change between white and amber for the lighting. I got these installed, but I don't have them hooked to my sPod yet. Hopefully within the next week or two.

PXL_20201207_203100678.jpg

PXL_20201207_203106512.jpg

PXL_20201207_203113865.jpg

I had some time to install a few more upgrades over the last few days. I purchased a set of front and rear Carolina Metal Masters grab handles. My biggest reason for going with these was that I liked the side mirror accessory when going without doors and the additional 1" ball mount. I used the 1" ball mount to attach a sPod HD switch panel. I mounted the sPod relay box in the engine bay and finished wiring everything up so I could actually start getting some of these lights and other mods working.

The first items wired in were the JW Speaker Trail Pro 6 lights. I also mounted and wired in a new set of Baja Design XL 80's on the front bumper. The XL 80's add quite a bit of light. I think I'm going to like them. I was finally able to remove the suction cup attachment for the TrailCal and mount it to the Vector E-Dock as well. I still need to connect the sPod via bluetooth and change some settings, but at least I got some lights to work!

I about forgot, I switched out the stock hood latches for a set of Rugged Ridge aluminum latches. My wife even mentioned something about the hood flutter a few weeks ago. Hopefully that is solved. Pictures for proof...

PXL_20210101_215433433.jpg

PXL_20210101_215450596.jpg

PXL_20210101_215420514.jpg

PXL_20210102_195658274.jpg

PXL_20210102_195707071.jpg

PXL_20210102_195648997.jpg

PXL_20210102_215725817.jpg

PXL_20210102_215742439.jpg

Was able to work on the Jeep again tonight. Wanting to run a spare tire I knew I needed to upgrade the tire carrier. I opted for this Cavfab Elite Series model. Installation was pretty straight forward. I didn't have time to throw one of the tires up there yet. I may have to do some tweaking, but it's on.

I also worked on the front end a little. I thought the front bumper slightly tilted down toward the passengers side. So I added a couple washers for shims and bolted it back together. I'm definitely happy I did, or that would have bugged me forever. I added some 3/4" round side marker lights into the new Nemesis fenders as well.

While working on the front bumper I was reminded that I need to relocate that vacuum pump. I better add that to the list. I also found a decent buy on a winch. Should get to me soon.

View attachment 116653View attachment 116654
Hi Qaddiction,
I recently received my CavFab Elite tire carrier for my 2016 JKU Sahara (it cost me half its price extra to bring it to France cause of shipping costs and customs import taxes... 😢 ).
Installing seems to be straight forward indeed but I would have 2 questions please:
- How did you coat yours ? Raptor or standard paint ?
- I'm stuck with the 4 small pieces in picture a. Where shold they go ? If what I've done in picture b with 2 of them is correct then where shoudl go the 2 others ? 🧐
Thanks!

a.jpg

b.jpg

Hi Qaddiction,
I recently received my CavFab Elite tire carrier for my 2016 JKU Sahara (it cost me half its price extra to bring it to France cause of shipping costs and customs import taxes... 😢 ).
Installing seems to be straight forward indeed but I would have 2 questions please:
- How did you coat yours ? Raptor or standard paint ?
- I'm stuck with the 4 small pieces in picture a. Where shold they go ? If what I've done in picture b with 2 of them is correct then where shoudl go the 2 others ? 🧐
Thanks!

View attachment 117719

View attachment 117720

I actually had a friend of mine cerakote the tire carrier. It's a thin ceramic coating. The 4 items you have left are shims. You are correct on the placement in your picture. I doubled mine up for a proper fit on my JK. I initially tried just one shim in both locations (like you have in you picture), but there was still a gap. Adding a second shim to both allowed me to tighten the bolts without bending any sheet metal. Depending on how thick your coating is could play a factor. The cerakote is thin. Good luck with your install. I'm happy with mine so far.

Thanks !
Cerakote would be the best option for me indeed but not sure to easily find where to do it. So thinking to use Raptor coating instead
Will let you know once installed

Reactions: Qaddiction
The second product is a Vector E-Dock for the dash. I had a hard time with this decision.

View attachment 117378

View attachment 117379
I have been planning to get this mount as well. I did notice that they say that this particular dock will not work with aftermarket radios, when installing did you notice any reason why it wouldn't work? The model they suggest using doesn't have the hoop that goes out over the storage area on the dash, and that's the only difference i see. My after market radio fits perfectly as the stock radio does so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I have been planning to get this mount as well. I did notice that they say that this particular dock will not work with aftermarket radios, when installing did you notice any reason why it wouldn't work? The model they suggest using doesn't have the hoop that goes out over the storage area on the dash, and that's the only difference i see. My after market radio fits perfectly as the stock radio does so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, I have the stock radio, so I don't know (or it didn't register with me as a concern) about those claims. But I'll take a stab at it. It mounts in 2 locations close to the window. Those obviously won't be any issues with an aftermarket stereo. If you look in my pictures, in the dead center there is a small plate that says "Vector" on it. That plate goes down in to the storage area. You have to remove the liner from the storage area. Once removed, it exposes a screw. That screw is removed and then reinserted once the docking station is installed. It's another fastening point. I never payed attention to what that screw actually goes into. It is directly above the radio. I can't imagine the screw actually mounts into the top of the radio, but if it does, that could be why an aftermarket stereo couldn't be used. Now one of the Alpine stereo's I have seen actually has its own plastic bezel that sticks out further than the stock dash and I believe might use up part of that top storage tray. I definitely could see the docking station that I installed not working with that aftermarket stereo option.

Reactions: IndominusHuman