Project Detonator - My 2016 JKUR Hard Rock Edition

Qaddiction

JK Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I got into this Jeep craze a few years ago and have been building up a 2001 TJ Sport since buying it. My wife and I love our TJ, but we are looking to head out West on some journeys in the future. We both thought an upgrade with more storage, air conditioning, and a few less miles on the odometer might be a good idea. So we picked up this Firecracker Red 2016 JKUR Hard Rock Edition a couple months ago. After building up the TJ, I couldn't wait to get started on the JK. Over the last few months I have been trying to research the newer JK platform and figure out my direction with the build.

I plan on gearing it more towards overlanding, but I'm sure the project will go a little above and beyond those needs. After all, it also has to meet my eye appeal that I am looking for. Perhaps Rock-lander, or Over-crawler fit the bill? I feel like I am off to a good start with some initial purchases. They are starting to collect in my garage at the moment. Hopefully in the next couple months I will start to get some of these items installed and document my progress.

At this point, the only things I have added are a Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller and the Superchips TrailCal Programmer. These were very quick and easy upgrades to accomplish. I took advantage of a few sales and also have the following in my garage (Metalcloak 3.5" Gamechanger lift with Rocksport shocks, Metalcloak HD steering system, Rock Jock antirock sway bar, Artec Industries inner C gussets, and KMC Machete Crawl 17"x9" wheels). I also have quite a few more items on order (Nemesis odyssey front and notorious dovetail fenders, Nemesis tub armor, CavFab tire carrier, and VKS front and rear bumper).

Here is a picture of my TJ "The Sienna Peral" and my newest project JK "Detonator".

IMG_20200329_123808.jpg

Running List of Modifications:
Pedal Commander Throttle Response Controller
Superchips TrailCal Programmer
Nemesis Industries Odyssey Aluminum Front Flares
Nemesis Industries Notorious Dovetail Aluminum Rear Flares
VKS Enforcer Rear Bumper
VKS Shorty V3 Front Winch Bumper
RockJock AntiRock Sway Bar Kit w/Aluminum Brackets and Arms - Front
MCE 3/4in LED Marker Light - Amber
CavFab JK / JKU Elite Series Body Mounted Tire Carrier
Page #2
Warn Zeon 10S Platinum Winch
KMC Machete 17x9 Beadlock Wheels
Toyo Open Country MT 37x12.5 R17 Tires
Off Road Only License Plate & 3rd Brake Light
Mopar Rear License Plate Delete
Artec Industries Inner C Gussets
Artec Industries APEX Front & Rear Axle Truss
Tom Wood 1350 Front & Rear Drive Shafts
Metalcloak Game Changer 3.5" True Dual Rate Lift w/ Rocksport Shocks
MetalCloak HD Steering System RockSport Edition
WARN Medium Duty Epic Recovery Kit
Factor 55 Flatlink E - RED w/ Rope Guard
Teraflex Vacuum Pump Relocator Kit
Nemesis Titan Tub Armor
Rock-Slide Engineering Step Sliders w/ Lights
Rock-Slide Engineering Step Slider Armor
Lock Pick Pro Air - Radio
IJKP-15-ARB: 4-Tire Air System Add-on Kit for Under Seat Mounted ARB
Vector Off-Road JK E-Dock
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution J3 Heated Series Headlight - Graphite
JW Speaker Trail 6 Pro Kit
SPOD SE 8 Circuit System HD Panel JK Source Bracket
Carolina Metal Masters Front and Rear Loop Grab Handles With Side Mirror Kit
Baja Designs XL 80, LED - Driving Combo
Rugged Ridge Aluminum Hood Catch
Page #3
DV8 Offroad Aluminum Door Handle Inserts
Baja Designs Jeep JK, XL Linkable Roof Bar Kit
Genesis Dual Battery Kit w/ Optima Yellow Top Batteries
Genesis Offroad G Screen Dual Battery Monitoring System
Artec Industries Rear Inner Fenders
EAS Power Switch W/ Starter Kit
Warn Power Interrupt Kit
Yukon Chromoly Axles Front and Rear
Yukon 4.88 Gears
Yukon Hardcore Iron Differential Covers Front and Rear
Goose Gear Side Cubbies
Goose Gear Plate System
Dometic Hardwiring Kit For DC
Genesis Offroad Dual USB Power Outlet Kit x 2
Bartact Roll Bar Barrel Bag - Large
Warn Full-Size Passenger Grab Handle Bag
Dometic CFX3 Slide Mount Kit For CFX3-50
Dometic CFX3 55IM Portable Refrigerator - 53L
Page #4
Artec Industries Solid Front Inner Fenders
Midland MicroMobile Two-Way Radio Kit
Dominion Off-road Jeep JK Stealth 48" Hi-Lift Jack Mount & Accessory Kit
Rittenhouse Pulaski Axe w/ Fiberglass Handle, 4lb
Krazy Beaver Shover (Red Head / Black Handle)
Brandmotion Universal Front And Rear View Cameras
Pioneer Roof Rack w/ Pioneer Platform (72x56)
Redarc Tow Pro Elite
Rear Anderson Plug
ARB Tred Pro Traction Boards
Page #5
RockSlide Engineering Tailgate Table
Ohio Diesel Seat Spacers
KC Cyclone Rock Lights - Clear x 8
KC Cyclone Dust Lights - Amber x 2
Rebel Offroad Blackout Window Storage Ver. 2.0 w/ Rigid Lights Upgrade
Rotopax Locking Mount w/ Two 2 Gallon Rotopax Fuel Tanks

Last edited:
I opened up the boxes to the Metalcloak lift this weekend. I figured I would give some of the components a little more protection. I sprayed them with some black paint. I'm guessing I'm still a couple months away from having this put on, but I figured I would get them prepared.

IMG_20200712_203811.jpg

Reactions: Chris
A lot of people like the Metalcloak stuff in gold, but I personally think it looks better in black (y)

I agree Chris. I left my Metalcloak stuff on my TJ gold. It eventually gets a little dingy looking. Plus I wanted to keep the look of my suspension understated. Black is perfect and it will be easy to touch up when needed.

I had some more parts show up this weekend! Nemesis Industries Odyssey front fenders, Notorious Dovetail rear fenders, and their Titan Tub Armor as well. Looks like I need to start getting to work. I have a busy week ahead, but I'm hoping to get these fenders installed by the weekend. I'll then remove them and I'm going to have them color matched. I can't wait to see the final installation.

IMG_20200816_203044.jpg
IMG_20200816_202803.jpg
IMG_20200816_202602.jpg

Last edited:
Took the Nemesis flares to a local body shop. They color matched them for me. Picked them up a couple days ago. Finished the install last night. Now my current tires look really small. I will also address the fender well area in the future. I prefer black inside my fender wells.

I also removed the OEM sliders. I color matched the Nemesis tub armor too, but those still need to be installed. Now I'm saving up for some Rock Slide Engineering sliders with steps to help the wife out. I figured I would install the tub armor when I get the sliders.

I made an appointment to have my lift installed. Supposedly the week of September 21st. One more month before I mount my new 37's. I can't wait! Anyway, here are a few progression pictures.
IMG_20200822_144248.jpg
IMG_20200822_144655.jpg
IMG_20200822_160425.jpg
IMG_20200825_202855.jpg
IMG_20200827_183036.jpg
IMG_20200827_183028.jpg
IMG_20200827_182944.jpg

Last edited:
With the dovetail rear fender flares I knew I wasn't going to like how the stock rear bumper stuck out past the sides. It's a shame because I really like the look of the stock bumper. I ended up purchasing a VKS rear bumper to replace it. This allowed me to retain my factory hitch. I had a friend talk me into finishing it with cerakote. I had no idea what that was, but I let him do it. It turned out pretty nice. We will see how it holds up. Here are a few pictures from tonight.
IMG_20200831_161338.jpg
IMG_20200831_161359.jpg
IMG_20200831_165356.jpg
IMG_20200831_175455.jpg
IMG_20200831_175505.jpg
IMG_20200831_175514.jpg

Those are interesting fender flares. Can't say I've ever seen them before. Are they metal or plastic?

Those are interesting fender flares. Can't say I've ever seen them before. Are they metal or plastic?

These flares are aluminum. I was between Poison Spyder, Genright, Metalcloak, and Nemesis. I am wanting to keep most addons down in weight, so I knew I wanted aluminum. I have Metalcloak on my TJ and Poison Spyder and similar designs seem a lot more prevalent. The Nemesis flares won out. I admit they look kind of silly right now. I'm hoping its just the stock wheel backspacing and the seriously wimpy tires. I'm praying when the KMC Machete beadlocks and 37" Toyo Open Country MT's go on I will be happy with my decision! Find out in 3-4 weeks...

Last edited:
These flares are aluminum. I was between Poison Spyder, Metalcloak, and Nemesis. I am wanting to keep most addons down in weight, so I knew I wanted aluminum. I have Metalcloak on my TJ and Poison Spyder and similar designs seem a lot more prevalent. The Nemesis flares won out. I admit they look kind of silly right now. I'm hoping its just the stock wheel backspacing and the seriously wimpy tires. I'm praying when the KMC Machete beadlocks and 37" Toyo Open Country MT's go on I will be happy with my decision! Find out in 3-4 weeks...

Can't say I blame you, aluminum is the way to go. My favorite ones are the GenRight ones, but they aren't cheap. I have the GenRight ones on my TJ and really, really like them.

Yes, they look silly right now, but once you get the right wheels and tires on there, that will totally change the look. With 37s, I don't think it will be an issue. I have Trail Ready beadlocks, I'll have to check out the KMC Machetes.

Time to turn my attention to the front. Again, I really like the factory front bumper. It's the OEM steel 10a that can be modified to fit a winch, but I opted for an aftermarket replacement instead. The previous owner had pushed in one of the front plastic pieces. I may try repairing it before I eventually sell the bumper.

I decided to go with a minimalist approach to the front bumper on this build. I bought a VKS Shorty V3 bumper with no bar. I liked the winch being recessed and the light weight (26 lbs) was the clincher in my decision. This was also cerakoted to match the rear bumper.

This bumper requires cutting part of the frame rail and the crash bar off. Nothing like cutting on a new to you vehicle! I'll be nervous as hell for sure.

Unfortunately, tonight I only got as far as removing the stock bumper. Heading out of town for work for a few days. I won't get back to it until early next week. Until then, here are a few pictures.

IMG_20200902_165446.jpg
IMG_20200902_165450.jpg
IMG_20200902_165819.jpg

IMG_20200902_165811.jpg

I cut the frame on mine when I installed my front bumper, didn't like how far out it stuck past the grill. I also made it sit lower when I made my new mount brackets.

Finally had some time to get some work done last night. I finished cutting the frame caps and crash bar off. I tried to sit the new bumper in place, but the sway bar actuator was in the way. I forgot that I remembered reading that it needed flipped to fit. I had already purchased a Curry Antirock so I figured it would be a good time to install it. The sway bar actuator dropped easily and the Antirock went in just as easy.

Now, back to the bumper. Set it in place, marked some holes and drilled them. Removed it, filed and sanded all rough edges and shot it with some paint. Let it dry and bolted it all together. It was late when I finished. I need to clean up all of the wires hanging down (fog lights, sway bar actuator, side markers).

Someday I hope to see a warn zeon 10S and some Baja Design lights mounted to this bumper!

IMG_20200907_152037.jpg
IMG_20200908_193707.jpg
IMG_20200908_193734.jpg
IMG_20200908_224540.jpg
IMG_20200908_224552.jpg
IMG_20200908_224616.jpg

Can't really see it from a side view but looks nicer like mine not sticking out so far.

Can't really see it from a side view but looks nicer like mine not sticking out so far.

If I choose to drill different holes, I can slide the bumper back even further. To the point where I would need to cut my grill for a winch to fit. I don't want to do that though. I hoped to have set it back to where the winch will barely fit without trimming. Time will tell. Unfortunately I don't have the winch yet. Directions actually recommend mounting the winch and then setting the bumper in place.

Was able to work on the Jeep again tonight. Wanting to run a spare tire I knew I needed to upgrade the tire carrier. I opted for this Cavfab Elite Series model. Installation was pretty straight forward. I didn't have time to throw one of the tires up there yet. I may have to do some tweaking, but it's on.

I also worked on the front end a little. I thought the front bumper slightly tilted down toward the passengers side. So I added a couple washers for shims and bolted it back together. I'm definitely happy I did, or that would have bugged me forever. I added some 3/4" round side marker lights into the new Nemesis fenders as well.

While working on the front bumper I was reminded that I need to relocate that vacuum pump. I better add that to the list. I also found a decent buy on a winch. Should get to me soon.

IMG_20200910_192600.jpg
IMG_20200910_192613.jpg