Power Steering Pump

Speartip

JK Addict
Supporting Member
Last weekend while on the trails had a mechanical issue .
While pulling up to an obstacle, stopped for a moment to choose a line .
Went to turn and steering wheel was extremely stiff .
Loss of power steering .
Touched the gas pedal and steering returned ?
Continued on and it happened again when at idle .
We were about 40KM off the main road and the last 10 no tow truck was getting in there
So we started heading back .
It was fine at slow speed on the trail as long as didn’t stop.
On the main road road driving was fine . At red lights or stop signs issue was intermittent at idle .
Following day, still an issue.
Ordered new power steering pump Monday night . Arrives tomorrow .
Since Tuesday it hasn’t been a problem at all. Had trans flushed last Sat . Wondering if trans fluid spilled on serpentine belt would cause this? Belt slippage ?
Still going to replace pump .
It has been leaking a bit over time judging by pulley . Just wondering what you guys thought .
P Steering fluid level fine
Tie Rod / Drag Link fittings new last year and greased .
Nothing bent
No Lockers
Tires at 30 LBS.
THX

Reactions: TROY66/68
What does the fluid look like?

Could you have gotten some water in it or dirt?

Fluid appears to be normal . Red in colour .
PS Resevoir cap always in place . Rarely removed .
That said I’ve owned the Jeep for 18 months .
Looks to be original pump and could very well be original power steering fluid .
Received paper work with Jeep from original owner with work done . Nothing about power steering pump . But info could have not been added to folder or lost over the years .
Fluid could very well be contaminated . Replacing pump when it comes in than doing a fluid flush .
I’ve seen DYI pump fluid flush on a couple UTube channels .
For $80 will have a shop deal with potential mess . Lol
Saw a uTube video of a fellow Jeeper . He had exactly same issue . Pump goes out at idle for a day or two than totally fine . He replaced pump as well .
One thing I did notice . At the time when I first noticed loss of steering . Popped the hood and checked fluid level . There were a few bubbles floating up? Possibly over heat ? Or air getting into system ? Jeep was running when I checked level .
It’s just really odd that it would stop giving me problems after a couple days .
You would think it would get worse . That’s why was thinking trans fluid spilled on belt and after couple days it threw or burned itself off.

Last edited:
Fluid appears to be normal . Red in colour .
PS Resevoir cap always in place . Rarely removed .
That said I’ve owned the Jeep for 18 months .
Looks to be original pump and could very well be original power steering fluid .
Received paper work with Jeep from original owner with work done . Nothing about power steering pump . But info could have not been added to folder or lost over the years .
Fluid could very well be contaminated . Replacing pump when it comes in than doing a fluid flush .
I’ve seen DYI pump fluid flush on a couple UTube channels .
For $80 will have a shop deal with potential mess . Lol
Saw a uTube video of a fellow Jeeper . He had exactly same issue . Pump goes out at idle for a day or two than totally fine . He replaced pump as well .
One thing I did notice . At the time when I first noticed loss of steering . Popped the hood and checked fluid level . There were a few bubbles floating up? Possibly over heat ? Or air getting into system ? Jeep was running when I checked level .
It’s just really odd that it would stop giving me problems after a couple days .
You would think it would get worse . That’s why was thinking trans fluid spilled on belt and after couple days it threw or burned itself off.
I Googled your Island. Suppose to be 5000 black bears there. Hope you had a Canadian Tire rifle, incase you had to huff it out. LOL

I Googled your Island. Suppose to be 5000 black bears there. Hope you had a Canadian Tire rifle, incase you had to huff it out. LOL

TBH not a big fan of guns . Went to a controlled gun range with a GF couple years ago and shot with a 9 mm . It was fun for date night . Something different . But it’s something would never own .
Have bear spray in the Jeep so when hiking in certain areas keep with me .
Bears generally stay away from humans . Unless hungry, feel threatened or with cubs will attack but they want nothing to do with us.
For sure there is the odd one that will walk into a small town searching for food etc .
Happens in small towns near forested areas all over North America but for the most part keep their distance .

TBH not a big fan of guns . Went to a controlled gun range with a GF couple years ago and shot with a 9 mm . It was fun for date night . Something different . But it’s something would never own .
Have bear spray in the Jeep so when hiking in certain areas keep with me .
Bears generally stay away from humans . Unless hungry, feel threatened or with cubs will attack but they want nothing to do with us.
For sure there is the odd one that will walk into a small town searching for food etc .
Happens in small towns near forested areas all over North America but for the most part keep their distance .
Unless hungry, feel threatened or with cubs. That could be any giving day here stepping out the door come spring. Dogs are good at keeping them at bay. Saved the wife and I from being mauled. Bear spray does not work. Good Times.

Reactions: mrjp and BigAL07
Before
CE4BDF84-D713-42F5-A728-E8F357101212.jpeg

After
20FCE566-5712-46C6-9583-B76B006FFA77.jpeg

Installed new power steering pump today . Ended up flushing the system as well .
Fluid was pretty grungy . New pump works as it should 😊