Power steering problem

Cfdeng92

Have A 2014 JK 44,000 miles no mods.
issue is no power steering below 1000 rpm. Replaced pump still same problem. When I first start Jeep power steering works. After about 5 min starts same problem no power below 1000 rpms. turn off engine let sit for a hour then start again power steering works for 5 minutes then stops again.
any help?

Have you checked inside the reservoir to see if maybe there is something floating around in there?

Reactions: Chris
Something is effecting the pressure, which could be anything from something in the reservoir preventing the valve from closing all the way, hence building no pressure, as mentioned above; to a leak in a hose, to a bad pump. The pressure should be between 80-120 or so at idle at the pump output line and the steering wheel untouched. Turning the wheel a couple times in succession will crank the pressure upwards of 1000-1300 psi.
Open the hood and have someone turn the wheel in both directions and listen for the pressure build. Also look for a leak around the reservoir or along a hose line when it's supposed to be under pressure.
Eliminate the easy stuff first, because a new pump will run you $800.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris
Yes I did flushed system new fluid.
Did you have the issue before you changed the fluid?
The reason I ask is if it reared its ugly head after you changed steering fluid, I might suspect an airlock in the system, although I don't know that I've ever heard of such a thing. I guess it's possible in any closed loop pressurized system. I haven't thought it through, just posted this as it came to me.

Reactions: BigAL07