P2308 code and P0303: have not been able to diagnose

gogga

Hi y’all, I’m here in Austin, Texas struggling with an issue on my 2015 jeep wrangler rubicon and I know that valuable information can be found here. I am really hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I’m getting the engine code P2308 “ignition coil C secondary circuit” as well as P0303 “cylinder 3 misfire”. I’ve had this vehicle at 3 different auto mechanics already and none of them have been able to properly diagnose the P2308 code yet. The P0303 code seems to come from either the PCM that is shutting down cylinder 3 because of a bad fuel injector or due to the P2308 code. One of the mechanics found that the fuel injector in cylinder 3 does not behave like the rest and said it's most likely due to a bad injector but was uncertain. I have checked for any frayed wires and there were none. There were however some very minor exposed wires near the coil 3 connection. There is also a wire that was added before I bought the jeep that runs directly from the coil 3 plug to the PCM which indicates a wire was bad already in the harness. There is also no moisture in the cylinder 3 ignition coil either. I also switched coil 3 and 1 to see if the code will go away or change to cylinder 1 and there is still a permanent code P2308 and P0303. While it was recommended that I take it to the dealer for a proper diagnosis of the P2308 code, I have an inherent distrust of dealerships as the one where I bought the vehicle missed a whole bunch of safety issues. Does anyone know of a dealer or auto mechanic here in the Austin Texas area that I can take the jeep to for a proper diagnosis who is not only reasonable in their rates, but also knows what they are doing? I don’t want to just throw money at it, replacing things that may not be the issue.

If you have a code that you think is being caused by a particular plug/coil/injector, there is an easy test.

Pull it. Swap it with the one on the next cylinder. If that is the problem, the code will follow the part to the new cylinder.

Reactions: BigAL07
If you have a code that you think is being caused by a particular plug/coil/injector, there is an easy test.

Pull it. Swap it with the one on the next cylinder. If that is the problem, the code will follow the part to the new cylinder.
Thank you for that @Dirty Dog, I have already done that and now I'm just waiting to see if the code comes back or not. I cleared the codes after swapping coils 1 and 3. I did notice that the connector to coil 3 has some exposed wire (very small amount) sitting close to some metal, but not sure if that could have caused a short or something. I did cover them up to see if it helps.

Reactions: Dirty Dog