Opinions on Rancho 2.5 lift?

JDogg99!

Hello all, i'm looking for mild lift kit for my 2016 JK. I want to upgrade to 33's and I'm thinking 2-2.5" of lift is all I will need. I would like to stick with just shocks and springs to level the ride out and was eyeing a package from Rancho. I don't see many reviews for this package so I'm open to other ideas???? I won't be doing rock crawling, but have plenty of sand dunes and trails to travel in New Mexico. I would like to not have to adjust the geometry or change the stock wheels. I love the look of the Wrangler Unlimited Freedom package. I've looked around so much I'm over stimulated with options so would like to hear real success stories from this forum. Thank you!

I put a 2.5" Teraflex suspension lift on mine and am pretty pleased so far. It was a fairly straightforward install. I was just looking for a little bit of a hike and wanted to level the front end. These tires are 255/75/17 which if aren't stock size, would be pretty close. Waiting on my wheels now and new 295's. One word of caution on the Tereflex lift and others may be the same, don't have experience with others, they recommend wheel spacers with stock rims because the front tires can rub the new sway bar links. If upgrading wheels they recommend a backspacing of 4.5" and I think the stock wheels are 6.2".

20201219_154530.jpg

Reactions: Hooperdog
I have the rancho 2 inch progressive lift with the 5000s shocks. I have a 08 jk and the install was easy. New springs and shocks. I have also installed the rancho front and rear adjustable track bar. I gained 2.5 inches in the front and 2 inches in the back. Nice and level still after 5000 miles.

ED4713DE-3904-4F26-9D1E-CA43F076A049.jpeg

If you're looking for a more entry-level option that comes with everything you need in order to properly lift your vehicle and maintain proper suspension geometry and angles, definitely check out our Ride Right+ kit! I know you said you'd rather not get into geometry, so this kit keeps it to the very minimum necessary in order to keep your vehicle driving and riding nicely even after the additional height from a lift kit. Our 2.5" kit would work perfectly with 33" tires, and the Ride Right kit uses our Giiro bushings which are 100% maintenance-free, dual durometer rubber bushings that help to soak up road noise and vibrations for a smooth and comfortable daily driver, while also providing all of the flex and misalignment necessary for off-roading! Feel free to check it out on our website and if you have any questions even just about suspension in general, I'd be happy to talk! And forum member discounts are available as well of course :giggle:

I have the rancho 2 inch progressive lift with the 5000s shocks. I have a 08 jk and the install was easy. New springs and shocks. I have also installed the rancho front and rear adjustable track bar. I gained 2.5 inches in the front and 2 inches in the back. Nice and level still after 5000 miles.

View attachment 117879
I'm a newbie to this stuff. What does replacing the track bars do for you?

If you're looking for a more entry-level option that comes with everything you need in order to properly lift your vehicle and maintain proper suspension geometry and angles, definitely check out our Ride Right+ kit! I know you said you'd rather not get into geometry, so this kit keeps it to the very minimum necessary in order to keep your vehicle driving and riding nicely even after the additional height from a lift kit. Our 2.5" kit would work perfectly with 33" tires, and the Ride Right kit uses our Giiro bushings which are 100% maintenance-free, dual durometer rubber bushings that help to soak up road noise and vibrations for a smooth and comfortable daily driver, while also providing all of the flex and misalignment necessary for off-roading! Feel free to check it out on our website and if you have any questions even just about suspension in general, I'd be happy to talk! And forum member discounts are available as well of course :giggle:

Hello and thank you for the information. If I want to keep the stock wheels, do I need spacers for this kit?

Hello and thank you for the information. If I want to keep the stock wheels, do I need spacers for this kit?

You shouldn't need spacers for stock wheels and tires. If they don't rub now they won't rub with a lift.

Just like @BLACKJKU stated if you plan on running your factory wheels and tires you won't need any spacers, but if you plan on upgrading to bigger wider wheels such as a 12.5 or 13.5" wide tire then you will need some sort of wheel spacer in order to run the factory wheels or get a new set of wheels with a backspacing of 4.5 to 4.75". A common misconception is that lift kits create the need for additional backspacing or wheel spacers but it really just comes down to the fact that most people lifting their vehicle want wider tires as well, which is where the problem of the tires rubbing on control arms comes from! Hope this helps :)

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
i used rubicon express 2.5 with fox 2.0 shocks. i kept the srock rims and dedinitely needed the spacers. without them the front tires rub on the shocks reservoir.

Reactions: mrjp
Just like @BLACKJKU stated if you plan on running your factory wheels and tires you won't need any spacers, but if you plan on upgrading to bigger wider wheels such as a 12.5 or 13.5" wide tire then you will need some sort of wheel spacer in order to run the factory wheels or get a new set of wheels with a backspacing of 4.5 to 4.75". A common misconception is that lift kits create the need for additional backspacing or wheel spacers but it really just comes down to the fact that most people lifting their vehicle want wider tires as well, which is where the problem of the tires rubbing on control arms comes from! Hope this helps :)
With the new BFG KO2’s I only get a little rubbing against the left sway bar at full right turn lock. No rub at full left turn lock. How much spacer would you recommend? Could 1.25” work or would I need 1.5”?

With the new BFG KO2’s I only get a little rubbing against the left sway bar at full right turn lock. No rub at full left turn lock. How much spacer would you recommend? Could 1.25” work or would I need 1.5”?

I don't remember if these axles have the full turn adjustable stops or not but if they do then just adjust the right side. If no adjustable stops then the 1.25's would be enough.

Last edited:
I put a 2.5" Teraflex suspension lift on mine and am pretty pleased so far. It was a fairly straightforward install. I was just looking for a little bit of a hike and wanted to level the front end. These tires are 255/75/17 which if aren't stock size, would be pretty close. Waiting on my wheels now and new 295's. One word of caution on the Tereflex lift and others may be the same, don't have experience with others, they recommend wheel spacers with stock rims because the front tires can rub the new sway bar links. If upgrading wheels they recommend a backspacing of 4.5" and I think the stock wheels are 6.2".

View attachment 117877
Did the same lift with 285's but I added the geometry drop brkts on the frt lwr control arms... drives perfect.

Reactions: mrjp