Oil Level Confusion

dnldvs92

I changed the oil in my 2015 JKU. I put mobil 1 5W-20 full synthetic. I put about 5.5 quarts in and swapped the filter n it seemed to run fine and the dipstick said level was right. Went to the store and when i got on it sounds like the rockers or lifters of ticking now. checked the cold level and it looked over filled and so i took some out but now when its warm theres hardly any on the dip stick. What do i do???

I have a 2015 JKU as well and just did an oil change. I put in 6 quarts and it right on the money. I used Pennzoil full synthetic.

When I change the oil I use Pennzoil, only because it was “what dad swore by” when I was kid!

Reactions: mrjp
I was afraid to do the full 6 cause it looked full with just 5.
It may say 5.5, but after running there is a bit held in the filter. Always change the filter, and then add six quarts.

When you check the dip stick wipe it off on a clean rag and then reinsert and recheck. Every time. The oil will slosh around and end up higher on the stick, so you wipe it and recheck.

Make sure you are on a flat surface. If the vehicle is still warm, a bunch of the oil is going to not going to be in the reservoir to check, so you need to wait.

If you removed some after putting in only 5.5, you are probably pretty low.

Also, the big name oils these days are pretty much a wash with regards to quality.