Oil filter housing search

mfinn

I'm getting ready to replace my oil filter housing again for the second time in a year, on my 2014 JK.
All the usual symptoms. Oil under the filter housing, drips down the back of the motor, oil on exhaust smell.
First time I thought I could save money on oem parts and bought one off amazon. That only lasted a year.
I knew about the Dorman aluminum one but didn't think it through.
So now it's time to do it again and I want to get the dorman 926-876 upgraded aluminum engine oil filter housing but can't find it anywhere.
Does anyone have a link to a source where they are in stock.

I'm avoiding the dealer part as there is only a 2 year warranty on them.

Rock auto sells them. Out of stock, but they do sell them. You can check local auto stores.

932157F1-6C4B-4BB6-AC31-223164B85AFB.jpeg

I know this is a known failure point, but how are you changing your oil? It lasting less than a year is a length of time where it basically failed at install or is being mistreated.

Do not use power tools to remove the oil filter when changing. Don't tighten beyond snug. I realize you shouldn't have to baby engine parts like this, but plastic is everywhere these days.

I know this is a known failure point, but how are you changing your oil? It lasting less than a year is a length of time where it basically failed at install or is being mistreated.

Do not use power tools to remove the oil filter when changing. Don't tighten beyond snug. I realize you shouldn't have to baby engine parts like this, but plastic is everywhere these days.
Good point.
I change my own oil and I am very careful to not overtighten plastic parts.

Reactions: SteveF and BigAL07
First time mine was replaced was because I foolishly paid for an oil change and they cracked the thing by over tightening. This time it was sensor related. But in general I would imagine that heat cycling eventually kills the plastic housing. Hence the newer aluminum ones.

What’s the problem with these things. Seems like everyone has to continually replace them ??? What is it that goes bad ??
Plastic doesn't do well with lots of heat over time. It cracks. Then ya got oil in the valley, down the backside of the motor and onto the driveway.