No Start Issue!

Andrew_smith2

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 automatic with 135k miles. I’m having a no start issue. I have a brand new starter and battery in the vehicle. The alternator isn’t even a year old either. When I go to turn the key I’m just getting a click from the starter. Sometime the vehicle starts and other times it does not. I’m very frustrated and I can’t figure out what is going on. Sometimes the neutral safety switch is the problem and I wiggle the shifter and it starts but other times I hear a different noise and it’s just the starter clicking. List anything you think it could be. Thanks for the help. Just made an account here on this website this is my first message.

Maybe try shifter bushings on the tranny and the shifter. I made a slight adjustment at the shifter to the cable and mine seems to work fine now. Auto zone dorman part 14055

Yes a bad or dirty battery cable can cause the issue, it takes quite a few Amps to make the starter turn over.

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler 3.8 automatic with 135k miles. I’m having a no start issue. I have a brand new starter and battery in the vehicle. The alternator isn’t even a year old either. When I go to turn the key I’m just getting a click from the starter. Sometime the vehicle starts and other times it does not. I’m very frustrated and I can’t figure out what is going on. Sometimes the neutral safety switch is the problem and I wiggle the shifter and it starts but other times I hear a different noise and it’s just the starter clicking. List anything you think it could be. Thanks for the help. Just made an account here on this website this is my first message.
I had numerous issues with my 2007 JK. Started with alternator, then starter, then had TIPM issues so got all those done and ran a dedicated ground cable from the battery to the engine block. These models can't withstand even a slight power drain or surge and it's frustrating. So good ground first. Shift position sensor on mine was loose and moved slightly. Hope this helps. I'm still having issue with mine going on "sleep" security and have to tap my brake to get everything to " wake" if it sits for awhile. Weird!!

Reactions: BLACKJKU
I had numerous issues with my 2007 JK. Started with alternator, then starter, then had TIPM issues so got all those done and ran a dedicated ground cable from the battery to the engine block. These models can't withstand even a slight power drain or surge and it's frustrating. So good ground first. Shift position sensor on mine was loose and moved slightly. Hope this helps. I'm still having issue with mine going on "sleep" security and have to tap my brake to get everything to " wake" if it sits for awhile. Weird!!
Running a nice sized ground cable from the battery to my alternator was the first thing I did, bad grounds is the most common issue with electrical problems.

Reactions: hhsadlup

There are at least two aftermarket companies that make battery cable upgrades you might want to look into, particularly if you have a bunch of accessories.

IMHO, the battery and ground cables are the first thing you should upgrade on these. The OEM ones are barely enough for stock components.

There are also two ground straps that go from hood to body, then from body to engine block behind the passenger exhaust heat shield. 1/4 to 1/4 and 1/4 to 1/2 I believe. There are some places you can order these from as well pre-made and better quality than OEM. A lot of these ground straps are broken or literally melted through on our older JK's. I think length on them is each 20".

Reactions: mrjp
Thanx brother for the info. Rolling through Morgantown today. Nice fall colors. Where is my dirt bike. Lol

Reactions: Vman