No rear A/C vents?

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
It was just revealed to me yesterday that there are no AC vents in the rear seating area of our '15 JKU.
Having only ever sat in the back seat for a minutes at a time, it never occurred to me until yesterday while driving in the heat w/ a passenger in the rear who was overheating.

I'd consider adding some type of extension from one of the front vents if possible.
Is this something anyone has done?
Are there models that offered a rear AC vent, like maybe on the back of the center console or from underneath the front seats?

The fact that you referenced needing your rear defroster suggests to me that you are not in a place that gets HOT, no… I mean HOT!
😂
Obviously we pointed the vents to help, but it didn’t help much.

My brother in law, who is severely handicapped lives with us.
When we all go, he sits in the back seat.
It would be awesome to figure out a relatively easy way to splice into the air ducting and get a hose back there.
Same can be said for heat during winter.
Doesn’t appear like it will be an easy task, but I haven’t given up on it just yet.
If T-ing into one of the front vents is even possible (There’s not a lot of extra space in the dash), then I could run a 2” hose along each footwell, or the center console to extend the vent to the back. The dash vents could work as a basic valve; closed= he gets more air, open= we keep the air up front.

Anyway, it’s just an idea that wouldn’t benefit most Jeep owners, but it would be a huge benefit for us.

I think it could be done. From what I remember doing my radio once the center face is popped off there is just two circular vents. You could probably tap into one and fine a way to route it back.

I came across this product, no idea how well it works but might be a starting point.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LXT23RU/?tag=jkforum-20

The fact that you referenced needing your rear defroster suggests to me that you are not in a place that gets HOT, no… I mean HOT!
😂
Obviously we pointed the vents to help, but it didn’t help much.
90 degrees and 75% relative humidity is hot 🔥 🥵

Reactions: Speartip