New winch, should i spray anything on the cable?

EP4

Just got 12k winch installed with the old school steel/wire rope.

Plan to leave it uncovered because i like the look of it.. is there any spray that’s recommended to keep the wire from rusting? I’m reading some say WD40, some say chain lube…

Can anyone with a wire winch rope, who leaves it uncovered give me some tips?

Thanks!

1DA5ADD3-649F-49ED-9C1F-50297A26AA5A.jpeg

If you was to spray it with something the dirt would stick to the cable and could cause wear on the cable when it's spooled.

You could always get a winch cover to help keep it looking like new.

Like @BLACKJKU said, I'd think spray would cause you more problems. I had a cable winch years ago and never sprayed it. PM it at least every 6 months to keep things working. If you get it muddy, then clean it. Pull out all your cable, spray it off, let it dry then spooling back it in. Make sure you keep some tension on the cable while doing so.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
Here are a few excerpts from a Navy tech manual I still have. Not to worry, it's not classified and I know I have it in my house.

1675349835089.png

1675349925162.png

If it's my winch and I keep it covered, this is what I would use to protect it from corrosion:

1675350245452.png

Reactions: mrjp
If you're going to spend $10 on oil spend $80 and get the HF synthetic rope. It's lighter...might be miniscule gas savings...safer...easier on the hands.

Also... don't leave your shackles on your bumper. By the time you need them they'll either be gone or rusted solid...never mind the noise.

-Mac

Reactions: Dirty Dog
If you're going to spend $10 on oil spend $80 and get the HF synthetic rope. It's lighter...might be miniscule gas savings...safer...easier on the hands.
This. And this again. And one more time for the people in the back.
Also... don't leave your shackles on your bumper. By the time you need them they'll either be gone or rusted solid...never mind the noise.
1980 called. They want their shackles back. :)

Thanks to the miracle of powder coating and isolators, rust and noise are non-issues.

As far as them being gone, I have never lost one. Crank down the pin like you would any other bolt and it's not going to fall out. You could even put Locktite or Gorilla Glue or some such on them if you're worried about someone stealing them.