New wheels / tires and a few questions

sonicreducer

After much research, I finally pulled the trigger on new tires for my '14 Willys. I went with Toyo Open Country AT3s, 295/75/16's. I purchased the Mamouth wheels roughly a year ago when they were on sale for just over $100 each. I was initially worried the gunmetal was too matchy with the Anvil color, but I think it looks great.

Now my focus turns to the spare tire carrier, as much as I would like a new rear bumper with a proper tire carrier distributing weight on the bumper and frame, my checkbook says no right now. Has anyone used heavy duty hinges, like the ones from MORryde? And how has your tailgate held up after a few years? Thanks!

IMG_0873.jpg

The colors looks good.

You don't need a bumper mounted tire carrier for anything less than a 37" tire, generally speaking.

I have not used that brand, but I did look at it on Amazon. The one I found there does not include hinges, but does spread the weight a bit better than the OEM carrier. I think if you paired it with a set up upgraded set of hinges, it would probably work just fine for your 33" tires.

On the other hand, by the time you buy the carrier AND hinges, you're not far from the price of something like the Smittybilt tire carrier. I've got two of them, carrying 35x12.5x18" Toyo MT spares. They're been bounced around in the rocks a fair bit and have held up extremely well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ZDW2R8S/?tag=jkforum-20

I have the same setup as @Dirty Dog. I have a 37" mounted on a true beadlock rim with 2-2 gallon Rotopax gas cans on the spare. Zero issues. I do lube the hinges every now and again.

Reactions: Dirty Dog