New (to me) JKU & NE Snow

Threepointsix

JK Enthusiast
My first post and snowfall with the, new to me, JKU. Loads of fun....till it turns to crusty ice and filthy slush.

Greetings to all, from NJ!

B2A0BED8-45BC-4DD7-BF9C-A506457EABC2.jpeg

Reactions: mrjp
I hate it when we have a melt, then a flash freeze 2F ( sand or salt will not stick) , then a 12hr dump of a foot of snow. Unless you have studded tires, not going nowhere. And on my road because there will be no traffic, all the snowmobiles come out and play. Welcome.

Reactions: Threepointsix
I finally cleaned my garage enough to back my jeep in a day before the snow (about 8"). I guess I could have gone out and played last night but putting a slush monster back in the garage just create a mess.
Are you North, Central or South Jersey. I'm Central by the Delaware river

I hate it when we have a melt, then a flash freeze 2F ( sand or salt will not stick) , then a 12hr dump of a foot of snow. Unless you have studded tires, not going nowhere. And on my road because there will be no traffic, all the snowmobiles come out and play. Welcome.
Canada has to be like a frozen tundra
Nice looking Jeep. Well here in upstate NY, Schenectady, we just got hit with over 2 feet of snow, not going anywhere for a couple of days.
Damn, now that is snow! We got a lot of warning, but maybe only 9” fell, at best.

The longer wheelbase is much better in the snow, I can say that much!
You are not correct sir. Longer wheelbase impedes travel due to greater surface area friction in the snow. All Good. Then again, I retract my statement if you humble in the fun of snow piloting.

ed.jpg

You are not correct sir. Longer wheelbase impedes travel due to greater surface area friction in the snow. All Good. Then again, I retract my statement if you humble in the fun of snow piloting.

View attachment 117433

That could be argued as the longer wheel base is better in the snow as in its less "twitchy" and therefore going to be easier to control in low traction situations.

This can be felt when driving my TJ in the snow after having driven my JK in the snow.

Reactions: Threepointsix
I’ve driven both in both situations. TJ seems, to me, most likely to do a 180, as it has done to me in 4WD. Was I abusing the fact that I had a 4x4? Yes. I learned quickly.

The JKU, to me, seems more stable and that is likely due to the longer wheelbase. And I’m sure weight has a lot to do with it too. My JK is loaded up with more ‘stuff’ than my TJ, in terms of aftermarket parts.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
That could be argued as the longer wheel base is better in the snow as in its less "twitchy" and therefore going to be easier to control in low traction situations.

This can be felt when driving my TJ in the snow after having driven my JK in the snow.

Plus the longer WB has more weight.

Reactions: mrjp
Yep. Driving my TJ in the snow was a scary ordeal. Dedicated snow tires made a huge difference, but our 2016 Subaru Outback would still destroy it in the snow.
Dare I say; I almost bought a Subaru Impreza or Outback, before I found and purchased my TJ. Still like the Subarus, but I don’t regret my Jeeps.