New to Jeep and need help with driving issues

I always recommend Crutchfield for car audio stuff. Plug in your vehicle info and they’ll only offer up stuff that fits.
Yep, that's what I did. Brandmotion reverse camera for the factory head unit. It was plug and play but one adapter harness had a bad pin. Crutchfield helped me debug and find the issue and then got another one out to me the next day. Great customer service!

Reactions: BLACKJKU
So that repair not only didn’t work, seems issue is worsening. I spoke to one mechanic in another town who said he was sure it was a bearing is that even possible?

So that repair not only didn’t work, seems issue is worsening. I spoke to one mechanic in another town who said he was sure it was a bearing is that even possible?
A wheel bearing on one of the fronts? You'd likely be ale to feel that every time you turned the steering wheel. It will tend to grind and send a vibration all the way up the steering shaft. But, at least it's not difficult to diagnose if that's where you decide to go look. Everything else that has been discussed to this point does not involve pulling tires/wheels off and removing the brake rotors to take a look.

@an
A wheel bearing on one of the fronts? You'd likely be ale to feel that every time you turned the steering wheel. It will tend to grind and send a vibration all the way up the steering shaft. But, at least it's not difficult to diagnose if that's where you decide to go look. Everything else that has been discussed to this point does not involve pulling tires/wheels off and removing the brake rotors to take a look.
thanks, I just left a mechanic and he said he’s pretty sure it’s a bearing just not knowing much it seems odd the u joint was the first diagnosis now it’s the bearing. It doesn’t do it turning it does it every single time your driving in first gear straight or not

@an

thanks, I just left a mechanic and he said he’s pretty sure it’s a bearing just not knowing much it seems odd the u joint was the first diagnosis now it’s the bearing. It doesn’t do it turning it does it every single time your driving in first gear straight or not
The bothersome part of this is the world of difference in having a front drive shaft u-joint and a wheel bearing issue. The effect of either being bad are not really close when it comes to symptoms, but either are very easy to diagnose.

Last edited:
Reactions: BLACKJKU
@an

You could always remove the driveshaft and take it for a drive and see if it still does it.

Reactions: BigAL07
Well found the issue now.. per mechanic at a Jeep place.

. He said the hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear is the transmission slipping and it will need to be replaced.

He also said rear brakes and rotators need replacement, serpentine belt needs replacement, engine oil cooler is leaking and needs replacement and front sway bar stabilizer bolts need tightening.

• Wow
Reactions: BigAL07
Well found the issue now.. per mechanic at a Jeep place.

. He said the hesitation from 1st to 2nd gear is the transmission slipping and it will need to be replaced.

He also said rear brakes and rotators need replacement, serpentine belt needs replacement, engine oil cooler is leaking and needs replacement and front sway bar stabilizer bolts need tightening.
How many miles are currently on your Wrangler?

Thx. With 35's and stock gearing (my assumption) you are putting more stress on the transmission and powertrain in general. Depending on how long those have been on it could be part of the root cause for the relatively early failure. Do you happen to know what final drive gear ratio you have? OEM would be either 3.21 or 3.73. Higher number is better for this situation...

Brakes are not that surprising, nor is the oil cooler - that is fairly common for the 3.6L.

Reactions: JeepsNJays