New radio compatibility

Marlin

My radio started to go glitchy on me. The am/fm was getting static about a year ago. I switched over and started using sirius radio. A couple days ago it started cutting out. It plays for a couple seconds then cuts out for a couple. I put a CD in and it acted the same way which makes me think not an antenna issue. It is the stock radio--no screen--so maybe single din.
My question can I put a double din radio in? It looks like the screen might sit above my dash a bit-not sure. Both crutchfield and best buy show the double din to be compatible. When I get up into a $300 radio most are free installation from best buy

Here is a picture of mine. If you are mechanically inclined I’d recommend to do it yourself. Overall it is an easy process, installed three of them, one in mine, one in my wife’s and my daughter’s.

IMG_4589.jpeg

Reactions: Rich1961 and Marlin
What year is your JK? The original non-display unit is not a single DIN... it's like 1.5 DIN or something weird like that. IIRC, on my 2008 I had to trim the opening and use a Metra Double Din mount to get it to fit. It wasn't perfect, but I was okay with the results. @Danarch did you have to trim the opening? It really isn't that bad. I think I did have to cut a brace in the back, but that was for an Android based head unit at the time.

@JerryD yes the openings did require a little trimming, but with the new center bezel it was not noticeable. In two of them I was able to leave the metal bracket towards the front of the jeep and in one I needed to remove it. The only disadvantage i see to removing it is the screw at the top center “dish” didn’t have anything to screw into.

Reactions: JerryD
I have a 10" Android in mine. It came with a new dash kit too. Love it!

What year is your JK? The original non-display unit is not a single DIN... it's like 1.5 DIN or something weird like that. IIRC, on my 2008 I had to trim the opening and use a Metra Double Din mount to get it to fit. It wasn't perfect, but I was okay with the results. @Danarch did you have to trim the opening? It really isn't that bad. I think I did have to cut a brace in the back, but that was for an Android based head unit at the time.
mine is a 2015

Yes, I thought mine was a single din--reality it looks more like a double.

Here is a picture of mine. If you are mechanically inclined I’d recommend to do it yourself. Overall it is an easy process, installed three of them, one in mine, one in my wife’s and my daughter’s.

View attachment 127197
Looks pretty straight forward , My current radio has just the pin connection and antenae connections. I am getting quotes for harnesses anywhere from $100-$200--that seems like a bit much. There should be something simpler for what I want. I'm looking

Looks pretty straight forward , My current radio has just the pin connection and antenae connections. I am getting quotes for harnesses anywhere from $100-$200--that seems like a bit much. There should be something simpler for what I want. I'm looking
I think the biggest cost other than the radio itself is the unit that allows the controls on the steering wheel to interface with the new radio. Those are in the 100 to 150 price range it seems. It essentially translates the data from the steering wheel into values that the radio is able to use. The fancier ones also interface with the ODBC sensor to show diagnostic and performance information. I'm on the fence as well about just having Best Buy install it versus doing it myself.

Reactions: Danarch
I like that launcher. Did it come with your unit or did you install it? Mine is a Dasaita but I have a custom rom loaded. It's getting a little long in the tooth and I may need to update.
I'm currently running the one that came with it. I was running CarWebGuru launcher for a while but it started to glitch every once in a while on startup. Thinking outloud, I probably just need to update it or reinstall it but it's not on my top priority list. For being a cheap Chinese no name radio I'm really happy with it!