New owner of a 2013 Sahara looking for maintenance tips

Appalachia Man

hello (jeep wave) jeep people!
new to the site and jeeps (not 4x4's). we bought a used 1 owner 2013 jeep sahara jk auto with ~68k mi last april. this is a toy, we have 3 other DD vehicles. we do some offroad, rock gardens, water crossing and cruising. NO mudding or rock crawling. upgrades are winch, #17 coils up front, front and rear bumpers. im a pretty good shade tree mechanic and have a shop. im going with synthetic engine oil and whatever midgrade oil and air filter i can get at wally world, autozone etc.

don't wanna make this a brand A vs B post, but would like some info on maintenance such as transmission oil drain and fill, the radiator, front and rear diff oil intervals , drivetrain zerks, etc. whats the "important stuff" to keep the jeep running good for many years.

any help is appreciated

hello (jeep wave) jeep people!
new to the site and jeeps (not 4x4's). we bought a used 1 owner 2013 jeep sahara jk auto with ~68k mi last april. this is a toy, we have 3 other DD vehicles. we do some offroad, rock gardens, water crossing and cruising. NO mudding or rock crawling. upgrades are winch, #17 coils up front, front and rear bumpers. im a pretty good shade tree mechanic and have a shop. im going with synthetic engine oil and whatever midgrade oil and air filter i can get at wally world, autozone etc.

don't wanna make this a brand A vs B post, but would like some info on maintenance such as transmission oil drain and fill, the radiator, front and rear diff oil intervals , drivetrain zerks, etc. whats the "important stuff" to keep the jeep running good for many years.

any help is appreciated

All that info should be in your owners manual. But the best thing to do is to replace all the fluids when buying a used vehicle. You never know how the previous owner used it or took care of it.

Welcome and use what ever brand of oil you prefer to use just the correct viscosity. When you change your antifreeze beside to flush it good including the heater core so you don't mix antifreeze types.

Reactions: Appalachia Man
In the How to Guides Chris has alot of info on Maintenance items.
surfing the site now... bookmarking as we speak (or type). found the transmission pan drop capacity.

while your here, 1 more question. is a transmission cooler necessary? don't think we will be towing, but what about off roading in 4x4 low for long periods?

Reactions: mrjp
surfing the site now... bookmarking as we speak (or type). found the transmission pan drop capacity.

while your here, 1 more question. is a transmission cooler necessary? don't think we will be towing, but what about off roading in 4x4 low for long periods?

Just my opinion it wouldn't hurt, heat is the biggest enemy of a automatic transmission. There are nice aftermarket one with a 12v cooling fan on them so that you can tuck them up out of the way under the Jeep.

Just my opinion it wouldn't hurt, heat is the biggest enemy of a automatic transmission. There are nice aftermarket one with a 12v cooling fan on them so that you can tuck them up out of the way under the Jeep.
ok
In the How to Guides Chris has alot of info on Maintenance items.
man this chris feller has got me covered... transmission cooler, he's got that!

thanks for the help black!

X2 to this, solid info (y)
chris unfortunately the jeep didn't come with a owners manual, just build specs and window sticker. i don't care for them anyway. i would much rather get the info from somebody (like you) that knows jeeps like the back of their hand. i do need to download or buy a service manual.
on another note, crawled under the jeep today and to my surprise i have the 68143895AA auxiliary trans oil cooler... thank GOD!
one thing that PO'd me was no drain plug for trans fluid, so gotta pull it off service it and add a plug... how stupid!
very impressed with your "how to" section, great work!

Reactions: mrjp
thanks Black! page has been bookmarked.
got any recommendations on a service repair manual? found a Chilton's for 08-17 on amazon for 40 bucks.

I have a Chiltons and Hanes both are better then nothing.

These aren't cheap but should be the same as the Dealers use.

The owners manuals can be downloaded from the Jeep (Mopar) website for free. Includes manuals for radios, uconnect, etc. Hopefulily this link will work. Actually a lot of decent information for new owners.

It's not necessary, but I highly suggest adding one. They're not expensive and really help.

These aren't cheap but should be the same as the Dealers use.

I agree, these aren't cheap but if you plan on owning your JK a long time it's well worth the purchase price.