Mystery problem after oil and filter change...

Most shops should be able to test batteries. Use a shop you trust, I'm pretty sure they will do it for free. Sometimes you have to remove the battery, sometimes they will do it in the vehicle. Take tools along to pull it out if you need to, or call ahead and ask.

Oreille's defiantly does it for free.

I would never change out a battery without having it tested.
Appreciate the tip. Thx!

So, left the car for a few hours. Batt had dipped a bit. Started it up, it did a bit of a weak start (engine kicked over and it started, but not with its normal strength). I let it run a bit, killed the engine.
Measured, went down to 12.0v.
Started again, this time it worked, but was a super sad sounding start. A bit of a delay after turning the key, and the engine sounded like it had just enough juice to get going, but not much more.
So, it is indeed looking like the batt is dying. I just can’t get over it being totally coincidental that it didn’t have any issues, then prob pops up the moment I’m done changing the oil. So weird.
Going to have to head to the dealer and hope it’s covered. Will keep you posted!

A vehicle charging system is pretty basic. The battery is for the most part there to start the engine. The alternator is what provides the jeeps power requirements once the engine is running. So if you can drive around without any problems for a long period of time and you need to charge the battery a few hours later to start the engine, then you definitely have a bad battery. 3 years is generally the life expectancy of a battery.

Also cold weather will make a weak battery fail quick. So if there has been a temp change that could also be the issue. Just takes more umph in colder temperatures.

Reactions: DrDmoney and mrjp
Well, YOU GUYS ARE NEVER GOING TO BELIEVE THIS!!!

It’s…. The battery. 😂 I guess you guys were correct. The most obvious problem was indeed the problem.

Well, thanks for helping me either way, I appreciate the time you took to give me tips.

Bad news, yep, battery is under warranty, however, my local authorized dodge/jeep shop can’t get me in until the beginning of Nov. so that left me with the choice of no car for over two weeks, or bite the bullet and buy a new one myself.

Guess which one I had to do since I have a life and need a car… Arrg.

So, left the car for a few hours. Batt had dipped a bit. Started it up, it did a bit of a weak start (engine kicked over and it started, but not with its normal strength). I let it run a bit, killed the engine.
Measured, went down to 12.0v.
Started again, this time it worked, but was a super sad sounding start. A bit of a delay after turning the key, and the engine sounded like it had just enough juice to get going, but not much more.
So, it is indeed looking like the batt is dying. I just can’t get over it being totally coincidental that it didn’t have any issues, then prob pops up the moment I’m done changing the oil. So weird.
Going to have to head to the dealer and hope it’s covered. Will keep you posted!

The bane of people who fix things for other people.

Doesn't matter if it's a car or a computer, I deal with it all the time myself.

"Since you replaced my lug nuts, the windshield wipers don't work".

I'm not sure why this is the case, but it happens ALL the time.

Reactions: mrjp and DrDmoney
The bane of people who fix things for other people.

Doesn't matter if it's a car or a computer, I deal with it all the time myself.

"Since you replaced my lug nuts, the windshield wipers don't work".

I'm not sure why this is the case, but it happens ALL the time.
It's called Murphy's Law

Reactions: Vman
The battery test from auto parts stores tells you how much of the battery is left ..10%..50% and so on. Just because it happened after you changed the oil is a coincidence. How many time have you had a shop do a repair and like 2 weeks later a new problem..happens.

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU