Motobilt tire carrier?

Frog lube

Supporting Member
I was gonna skip having a spare when I upgraded my tires but got a decent deal on 5 MP 38’s on KMT beadlocks. So how to mount the spare? Looked for a swing gate type but can’t find one for 38’s. Motobilt has a rear gate mount but that seems like a lot of weight on the hinge. Anyone running Motobilt? Any other suggestions?

2012 JK Rubicon, 41/2” MC lift, RCV’s, trussed, C’d, etc.

IMG_0235.jpeg

38's are generally too heavy for the stock hinges. You might be able to mount it on something like the Smittybilt that replaces the hinges, but you'd be better off, most likely, with a swing out bumper mounted style.

What rear bumper do you have? Because that's going to have a huge impact on the tire size you can use.

I'm not sure the factory bumper is strong enough to mount a swing arm tire carrier. Nor would the notch be large enough. You'll need to look into a new bumper (like the ones above) that is designed for a wheel & tire package with those dimensions and weight.

Reactions: Danarch
How is yours holding up? When I go to 42's I was thinking of this setup.
So I'm only on 33s but I've had mine over a year in all weather conditions and it's been fine. No rust or deteriorating of the finish, which I've heard can be an issue. No rattling. You can even remove the exterior plates and DV8 logo. Overall I'm satisfied with it but they take a bit of work to mount correctly and does require drilling into the body. They do come with reinforcement plates.

I'm not sure the factory bumper is strong enough to mount a swing arm tire carrier. Nor would the notch be large enough. You'll need to look into a new bumper (like the ones above) that is designed for a wheel & tire package with those dimensions and weight.
👍

Is this what you all are referring too? If so how does the tire attach? How does it attach to the Jeep? Been looking around for a carrier for my daughter’s JK. They are asking $100 for it.

View attachment 127575
That's the plates you can remove from the carrier itself. You're missing the rest of the carrier. Here's what it looks like.

tc-1.jpg

Reactions: tJKrider
Reactions: Danarch
The wife has a Smittybilt tire carrier bumper that has worked well. It was pricey though. I think it holds up to a 38” tire.

I just purchased a Smittybilt swing out bumper. It's amazing. I think it holds up to 38, I have 35's. It also has room for a jack and 2- 5 gallon gas cans. Smittybilt was out of stock, so I ordered it from Amazon. With the Smittybilt bumper and swing out it was $1000.