More new Jeep questions

KSwanson

It’s definitely taking some adjusting going from a full size pick-up to the Jeep, but I’m slowly starting to love it! Thank you all for your help/advice and answering my stupid questions 😂.

I replaced the stock air filter with just a simple K&N drop in and I feel like it has more “pep” for sure. Does anyone have any opinions on the full cold air intake set up? Or is a drop in filter good enough?

Also, I am going to need to install a hitch in case a small trailer with a dirt-bike on it needs to be pulled… is it pretty simple? Or does the bumper and everything else need to be removed prior to?
And do Jeeps struggle pulling little trailers at all?
Thanks ☺️

Reactions: mrjp
It’s definitely taking some adjusting going from a full size pick-up to the Jeep, but I’m slowly starting to love it! Thank you all for your help/advice and answering my stupid questions 😂.

I replaced the stock air filter with just a simple K&N drop in and I feel like it has more “pep” for sure. Does anyone have any opinions on the full cold air intake set up? Or is a drop in filter good enough?

Also, I am going to need to install a hitch in case a small trailer with a dirt-bike on it needs to be pulled… is it pretty simple? Or does the bumper and everything else need to be removed prior to?
Thanks ☺️

A CAI is no advantage but the biggest thing to do make it feel like it has more power is a Throttle Enhancer, I use a Pedal Commander and there are some other brands that some Members use.

Reactions: Chris and BigAL07
I have the K&N drop in on all my rides ( BRZ and my wife's GMT400 5sp muscle truck) do not notice any HP gains, but they are great here because of the pine pollen getting sucked in. Reusable.

Reactions: BigAL07
A CAI is no advantage but the biggest thing to do make it feel like it has more power is a Throttle Enhancer, I use a Pedal Commander and there are some other brands that some Members use.
Does the Throttle Enhancer just takes out the pedal lag? Very hard jumping from my JK to the BRZ. Night and day difference in pedal response.

Like BLACKJKU said. The throttle enhancer is something u definitely want to check out. I got the 9-drive brand last Christmas and have had no issues at all. Around 60 bucks. Need to be able to fold yourself up like a pretzel to install it. Got it through Amazon. Made my ruby feel like I dropped a hemi in her!

Reactions: mrjp and BLACKJKU
I wouldn’t think your Jeep would have any trouble at all towing a dirt bike. I don’t tow with mine but I’m sure other members do and will weigh in on that for ya

Hitch from Extreme Terrain:

1660915627485.png

From the tech side, I have the Pedal Commander and JScan paired with an OBD dongle:

1660915808377.png

1. Tires rotated every 5k
  2. Oil at 5k
  3. I check JScan every time I change oil/rotate tires. I don't run a constant live data feed unless I'm in the dirt somewhere.
My 2014 just hit 111k miles and still runs like a top- couldn't be happier. The only other vehicle I've kept with as many miles was my last Tahoe.

Jeep 8.jpg

Reactions: KSwanson and mrjp
We tow a utility trailer on occasion for horse feed, trip to the hardware store etc. and it the Jeep does fine with it. Ours came with a hitch, but when I replaced the bumper it was easy to remove, and from what I ”remember” the bumper wouldn‘t require removal. It was simple four bolts and it comes out (off). If you were closer you could have it.

Reactions: KSwanson and mrjp
If you're considering a trailer or any towing, for that matter, I'd check your gear ratio. I know it's been mentioned a couple times, but with your lift & tire combination and a trailer possible, I'd definitely check. The Sport models were mostly built with 3.21 gears, but options were available for the 3.73 and 4.10.

Either enter your VIN on this site for a complete build sheet, as delivered from the factory:
https://www.nathanson.org/davesays/2019/buildsheet-for-jeeps-vin/

Or check to rear side of the rear differential for a tag which will show you the gear ratio (couple examples):

1660922538671.png

Of course, neither of these amount to anything if the previous owner had it re-geared and didn't make that known.

If you're considering a trailer or any towing, for that matter, I'd check your gear ratio. I know it's been mentioned a couple times, but with your lift & tire combination and a trailer possible, I'd definitely check. The Sport models were mostly built with 3.21 gears, but options were available for the 3.73 and 4.10.

Either enter your VIN on this site for a complete build sheet, as delivered from the factory:

Or check to rear side of the rear differential for a tag which will show you the gear ratio (couple examples):

View attachment 121932

Of course, neither of these amount to anything if the previous owner had it re-geared and didn't make that known.
Yes useless if they changed it, ha ha. For some odd reason wish my had the tag as it makes me wonder if they did change it. I guess not enough to check though. Just seems odd to have purchased a Jeep with less then 15K miles on it and the tag is no where to be found. The stock axle lock buttons work as they should so I assume it is the stock setup.

Hitch from Extreme Terrain:

View attachment 121879

From the tech side, I have the Pedal Commander and JScan paired with an OBD dongle:

View attachment 121880

1. Tires rotated every 5k
  2. Oil at 5k
  3. I check JScan every time I change oil/rotate tires. I don't run a constant live data feed unless I'm in the dirt somewhere.
My 2014 just hit 111k miles and still runs like a top- couldn't be happier. The only other vehicle I've kept with as many miles was my last Tahoe.

View attachment 121881
That’s amazing! Have you had to conduct any major repairs other than your regular maintenance??
And thank you for that info ☺️

Reactions: Anybodyhome

View attachment 121932

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=1C4BJWDGXJL835443

That’s the build sheet that popped up for it. I don’t know anything about gearing or how to check/change the gearing if it’s needed 😬.

That’s amazing! Have you had to conduct any major repairs other than your regular maintenance??
And thank you for that info ☺️
No. I did have a rear main seal leak that was covered under warranty. I also had the air blend actuator go out, which seems to be fairly common. Although it's not a costly repair, it is kind of a pain in the rear.

With respect to the 3.21 gearing, I'd be hesitant to pull anything with that. Putting a new rear end in just to tow your bikes is a little steep, but that's personal choice. If you're looking to tow a utility trailer, toy trailer or even a small travel trailer, you should up your rear end to a 4.10 minimum. A re-gear will set you back anywhere from $800-1200 for the parts and whatever the labor, depending on where you live.

Thanks ☺️
I have this on my 2015 jku, it was quick and easy. Also comes with the adapter kit for the trailer lights. Took about 30 min to complete the I stall. The 4 bolt holes should already be there in your frame

Screenshot_20220819-193833_Amazon Shopping.jpg

No. I did have a rear main seal leak that was covered under warranty. I also had the air blend actuator go out, which seems to be fairly common. Although it's not a costly repair, it is kind of a pain in the rear.

With respect to the 3.21 gearing, I'd be hesitant to pull anything with that. Putting a new rear end in just to tow your bikes is a little steep, but that's personal choice. If you're looking to tow a utility trailer, toy trailer or even a small travel trailer, you should up your rear end to a 4.10 minimum. A re-gear will set you back anywhere from $800-1200 for the parts and whatever the labor, depending on where you live.
What is an air blend actuator?
As for the rear main seal leak, I’m guessing it was obvious? Spots on the driveway?

And thank you for that info! ☺️

There are giant tires on this thing though
Thats not surprising. People will put a tire size on that they fell looks good and have total disregard the proper rpm range the engine runs or how the auto transmission shifts. I would suggest getting a jscan and doggle set-up to insure that the correct tire size that you have is programmed into the computer. That will insure that your shift points and speedometer are correct

Reactions: KSwanson