Missed a deer yesterday, but not by much

WestCoastDan

JK Enthusiast
Headed up Silverado canyon yesterday to get out and about, with the idea of getting this thing dirty on Santiago peak trail.
Going about 30-ish, on a winding, narrow, two-lane blacktop I catch movement on the left shoulder, then movement through the oncoming lane, and that's when the blur came into focus.
The deer was small, probably less than 100lbs, but it darted across the other lane headed directly at my left front corner, made a sudden left turn as I was mashing the brake pedal and cranking the wheel to the right.
I swear that deer's feet were under the leading edge of the front tire before he got traction.
Luckily he was able to stay upright, or he would be flat today.

Nothing like a sudden rush of adrenaline to get your mind back in the game.

Just a friendly reminder to say alert.

They are out and about on the island .
In some residential areas that are close
to forests . They come out in the
evening and so tough to see.
I drive 10 under in some areas
cause the young ones literally will
walk out on the road as you
approach . They blend in so
well don't see them till your
practically on top of them .

Back in the 70s and 80s we were not allowed to keep game meat we hit with our rides. MNR ??? It is not like anybody was going to destroy their front end for Venison and Moose. Hitting deer AH, but hitting Moose many have died up here in the past before the big SUV and Truck craze.

I've seen some horrible injuries, including a couple of deaths. An 8 point buck through the windscreen can be devastating.
And if you're on a motorcycle...

Reactions: mrjp
I've seen some horrible injuries, including a couple of deaths. An 8 point buck through the windscreen can be devastating.
And if you're on a motorcycle...
Speaking of which, I know a guy from my riding group that went on a massive, torture-ride event called the Hoka Hey (sp?); it’s a 10,000 mile ride typically done in about 10 days w/o the aid of GPS.
Anyway, somewhere in Oklahoma or Arkansas (I can’t recall which), a deer jumps in front of him at about 70MPH.
He literally cut the deer in half.
He managed to stay upright and didn’t crash, but the bike was severely damaged. He got super lucky.
The deer; not so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrjp and Dirty Dog