Magnaflow catalytic converter won't fit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavemann

Nice wig
Supporting Member
I'm trying to make this cat fit on my 3.6 pentastar. Anyone put one on their JK?

The mounting flange is 1.5mm thicker than stock, so it wont seal properly to the exhaust manifold. The mounting bracket has to be tightened last, because it's made for a thinner flange.

How did you fix it, if you've got this cat on your JK?

I've tried the JB Weld extreme heat.. not the putty.

Nothing seals this catalytic converter to my engine.

1.5mm is 4.2 gaskets thick. I'm gonna cut 4 and mount the bracket. Maybe it will work, maybe it wont. I'll keep yall in the loop.

If this doesnt work, and none of yall have a good suggestion, I'm going back to a mopar cat.

What's the part number on it? Was it a generic fit cat, or was it one that is specifically meant for the 2012-2018 JKs?

Magnaflow is great, from what I've heard.
I'm on my second one. Same issue, twice.
Its meant for the 3.6 pentastar. Was it 2011, when the stopped using the 3.8?

What's the part number on it? Was it a generic fit cat, or was it one that is specifically meant for the 2012-2018 JKs?
It is the 49 state version for the 3.6 pentastar. You can't use it in California.
I wonder if the California version fits.

Its meant for the 3.6 pentastar. Was it 2011, when the stopped using the 3.8?

2012 was the first year of the 3.6 Pentastar in the Jeep Wrangler.

It is the 49 state version for the 3.6 pentastar. You can't use it in California.
I wonder if the California version fits.

That's a good question. I'm just wondering the part number because I want to know if they are labeling it as a bolt-on cat, or one that requires welding.

In either case, if I was in your situation I would simply go down to the local exhaust shop and have them weld it on. Wouldn't take them more than an hour and they'd charge you maybe $100 at most I would assume.

Well Chris.
The only way to weld a catalytic converter to a 2012 jk is to weld it directly to the engine. I'd love to see the engine of someone that did directly weld it to their engine.

We don't mount it to the exhaust manifold, because there is no exhaust manifold. I've heard people say the mounting flange is the manifold. I've heard people say that the crush gasket between the engine and the catalytic converter are the manifold.

• Wow
Reactions: Chris
The issue was not the dimensions of the flange that mounts the cat directly to the engine.

I believe the 3 gaskets I have on there is the right number.
Sadly, I've stripped the top 2 bolt holes from the 14 times I've had to remove and install it again.

Why are you harassing me, Chris?
I got a life to live, a jeep to fix, and I don't have time for you're desire to force me to think you're special.
If you don't know what a 3.6 pentastar is and how a cat mounts to it, you don't belong in this thread answering any of my questions.
Go to the thread about mounting a cat to a 3.8.

I mean, how stupid are you insinuating that I am?
Is there a weld on Cat that has an entire mounting flange on it that some people say is an exhaust manifold?
How would I bolt a weld on cat to an engine?

Where does the gasket go on a weld on cat?
How do you double or even triple stack gaskets on a weld on cat?
How do you put extreme heat gasket seal on a weld on cat?

Why would an administrator treat a customer like this?
Was downloading your app so I could ask for help the wrong idea?

I'm here, asking for help, and I'm the only one bringing any information.
The 3.6 pentastar is currently in the JK, JL, and GL.
If this problem is so difficult to fix that no one knows anything, Jeep is f*cked.
Thats 3 different generations of jeep that become paperweights if the owner doesn't have a toy hauler.
Or.......
Someone knows how to help and I haven't found them, yet.

Why are you harassing me, Chris?
I got a life to live, a jeep to fix, and I don't have time for you're desire to force me to think you're special.
If you don't know what a 3.6 pentastar is and how a cat mounts to it, you don't belong in this thread answering any of my questions.
Go to the thread about mounting a cat to a 3.8.
How is he harassing you? He is asking a question to try to help troubleshoot YOUR issue.
If you can’t handle being on a forum, don’t get on it. Seems like you have all the answers anyway.

Wow... just wow.

You just earned yourself a permanent ban buddy. This isn't the place for your negative attitude. Despite what you may believe, I was trying my best to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.