Looking to buy my first Jeep

JadoRob

Hey everyone!

I'm going to need a car fairly soon and I've always wanted a Jeep for as long as I can remember. I plan to use it as a daily driver, about 15 minutes to and from work. I would love to take it off-road in the weekends. I'm going to try rock crawling sometime in the future, but not until I get some experience. Whether im in the city, highway, or off-road, I would enjoy driving a stick for sure. I'm willing to deal with the low MPG, my heart has always been set on a Jeep :)

I did a lot of research and thought hard about it and decided on the JK. I would have loved to save money and get a TJ and learn how to build her up over time, but I believe it wouldn't be a practical daily driver.

Anyways, I have been keeping my eye open for a used jeep, and came accross this 2014 Sport: https://www.beachautobrokers.com/ve.../hard-top-clean-carfax-norfolk-va-id-36584152

I'm a newbie and was hoping to get an opinion on the price, 21,495, with the mods. it's got a lift, tires/wheels, fender flares, and a front bumper. Milage is almost at 60k. I am concerned about any rust but I'll be sure to examine the frame when I have time to go look at it.

It doesn’t look unreasonable. 60k miles usually will mean you need to look close at wear on the Jeep, but shouldn’t be blasted worn out. I’d be curious what kind of lift, suspensions etc.

Also drive it, and see if it drives well. I always look ag Autotrader in my area and see what cares are listing for, mileage etc. you’ll get a look at what people are asking and paying.

I don't think it's unreasonable, either. Several after market goodies that aren't particularly cheap- lift, wheels & tires, bumpers, fenders, etc.
I have a 2014 and I'm right at 79K miles and I don't drive but 8 miles to work everyday. 10k miles per model year is well under the average.
But when you drive it, take it on some side streets, make some sharp turns, find a couple hills and use the 4WD. Take a look at the lift and condition of the frame.
I think you'll be okay.

Thanks for the input guys. Turned out that the car was not even around, probably sold, he couldn't say for sure. I called first of course, he said he was looking right at it. He tried to sell me something else but I denied it. I went to a more trusted dealer and found another jeep:

They just got it in and are doing inspections, so I'll be able to see it tomorrow or Friday. It's a 2013 with 80k for 20,300, not much lower than the 2014 I posted earlier, and with a little more miles too. I think it's still reasonable though. Looks like it's got a lift with good tires. If the frame is not rotting (dealer is in VA beach) and it drives well I think I'll go for it. If everything checks out hopefully I can get the payments to $350 or less, with a decent rate.

Thanks for the input guys. Turned out that the car was not even around, probably sold, he couldn't say for sure. I called first of course, he said he was looking right at it. He tried to sell me something else but I denied it. I went to a more trusted dealer and found another jeep:

They just got it in and are doing inspections, so I'll be able to see it tomorrow or Friday. It's a 2013 with 80k for 20,300, not much lower than the 2014 I posted earlier, and with a little more miles too. I think it's still reasonable though. Looks like it's got a lift with good tires. If the frame is not rotting (dealer is in VA beach) and it drives well I think I'll go for it. If everything checks out hopefully I can get the payments to $350 or less, with a decent rate.
In my experience Credit Unions offer much better rates on used vehicles than traditional banks and lenders. I’m sure results vary but worth checking out. Hope the Jeep is worth buying and enjoy!

Reactions: Barry
I agree, Credit Unions for used cars have better rates here.

My only advice, don’t be in a hurry. There will be other deals, if it’s right then cool, but be picky, seriously it’s not 2 am with the bar closing (yes terrible joke my wife would not be pleased, ha)

Definitely go through a credit union if you can. The experience is far better, and the rates usually are as well.

That black one looks decent and the price is okay. I'd want to inspect the underside for rust, as that would be my main area of concern.

I pulled the trigger on the second jeep I linked. Bought it on Friday at a Hall Chrysler dealership in Chesapeake VA, which is actually an hour and a half away from where I live. Unfortunately I did not have anyone with me when I went, so I had to leave it there for almost a week, since I was leaving for Florida the next day for a short vaca.

The test drive went great, parked it in front of the dealer. Signed the paperwork. Started up the car again and parked it and left.

Just went there today to pick it up. Held the clutch down, turned the key, and it started but died shortly after. Tried giving it some gas but it still dies. The manager came out not too long after and had the same issues. We waited a few minutes but still no go. Waited even longer and he managed to get it going. I wanted to drive it around the parking lot. Seemed to drive fine, but when I parked, and tried to start her up again, same issue. It would start, but just a few seconds later it dies. They gave me a loaner car so now I'm home. I hope to hear from them soon to tell me what the issue is.

Ugh, rough week, so much driving. I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever, what could the issue be?

Do you have a lemon law? My advise would be to get out of the sale if you can.
I just read through the contract and didn't find anything regarding a lemon. So without the "lemon law", is the dealer not required to oblige the request to get out of the sale? I mean I was never even able to get it out of the parking lot except when test driving.

I just read through the contract and didn't find anything regarding a lemon. So without the "lemon law", is the dealer not required to oblige the request to get out of the sale? I mean I was never even able to get it out of the parking lot except when test driving.
Lemon law isn't something that is a part of the contract, I don't believe, but hell I never read a dealership contract.

In your state, Virginia, that statute will have more informaiton.

I don't know Virginia, but in Texas, you can get out of a contract I believe 48 hours...that's gone....so, you have the Jeep.

I didn't read that law, but most places the "Lemon Law" is on new cars, and is very, very limited on Used Cars.

So, before you go ballistic (which I would be by the way, and have to try not to be) go in and talk to the dealer. I would say this:
"Listen, someone got this Jeep ready to roll....enough to get off the lot and break down. I happen to just leave it here, so it seems painfully obvious either it's the worst luck in the world, or that's what happened. I want to work with you, I just want a Jeep that runs top notch....which is how you represented it. You have a shop and staff mechanics. Our choices are this:
1. You do the right thing by your customer, me, and have your staff mechanics do a thorough run down and get the underlying issues fixed. I'll say okay, and be a happy client. OR.....
2. Unfortunately, and I don't want to but I now own this Jeep, I'm going to have to get representation, it'll waste everyone's time, get ugly, and it'll be public. I don't want that....at all. You don't want that, and you don't want this kind of detailed review, this kind of information filed with the Attorney General, Better Business Bureau etc.

The fact is, since I literally bought it, parked it....here, and then a week later it won't run, there's no way for anyone to say "they drove it hard, or did something malicious". So I've got a good case...and more than that a good story, and I'd rather that story be "There was an issue, and that dealer really stepped up, and took care of me, they are a top notch dealer."

If you ever saw the movie Road House you'll know "And be nice" (If you haven't, you need to rent it, it's a cheesy classic good to this day). Don't get into an ugly arguing match, it rarely if ever helps no matter how pissed you are.

Sorry to hear about your issues; definitely not the way you want to start out with a new vehicle. Given that they are a Jeep Dealer, I would think they would stand behind their products; including their used Jeeps.

We bought our used 2011 JK from a Jeep dealer and they had a ”no questions asked” 7 day return policy as well as a 90 day warranty.

Hopefully, it’s something simple to fix. Best of luck! BD

PS. Love the color! Here’s our 2011 JK. 🤓👍
5643EAD9-898B-4DE0-82EF-9069940AC492.png

Last edited:
I agree, Credit Unions for used cars have better rates here.

My only advice, don’t be in a hurry. There will be other deals, if it’s right then cool, but be picky, seriously it’s not 2 am with the bar closing (yes terrible joke my wife would not be pleased, ha)

100%. I’d add, if they offer you a better price when you finance thru them, take it. Then, before you make any payments, go to a credit union and refinance. This really comes into play when buying new vehicles. Dealers will often offer 0% financing OR something like $5,000 in rebates. Always take the rebates (the lower price) and then refinance. We’ve done it multiple times and the credit unions love getting your business.

Reactions: cpwolf
100%. I’d add, if they offer you a better price when you finance thru them, take it. Then, before you make any payments, go to a credit union and refinance. This really comes into play when buying new vehicles. Dealers will often offer 0% financing OR something like $5,000 in rebates. Always take the rebates (the lower price) and then refinance. We’ve done it multiple times and the credit unions love getting your business.
I’ve done the same, but I don’t buy new cars anymore, ha

I’ve done the same, but I don’t buy new cars anymore, ha

Good call. It’s crazy to think of how expensive vehicles have gotten AND how fast they depreciate. Sign the papers, drive It off the lot, and it’s suddenly depreciated by 10%.

In my last position, I got a healthy $1,000/month truck allowance. So my last new truck was a black 2018 Ford F-150 4x4 STX Edition. I loved that truck. Then, I got laid off (position eliminated) and though we parted on good terms, my severance package ran out before I found a new job. The $800+ payments were kicking our ass, so heck, let’s just sell it.

It was in mint condition; not even so much as a door ding, and still had plenty of warranty. Though I’d gotten it at fleet pricing (the Fleet Manager is a friend), put some money down and financed for 48 months, after 12 payments, I was still upside down (I.e. owed more than I could sell it for). Eventually, we got a a sweet trade-in offer from a Jeep Dealer ($2500 more than CarMAX offered), so we traded it and bought our 2011 Jeep JK. That was definitely a silver lining, but I still had to pay around $1,000 to get out from under the loan....

Up here used JKs are in big demand, so they fetch a heavy price. The dealership will even buy them off you to resell off their lot. I always buy new, and run my vehicles until death. But I understand one has to be financially secure for that. Because of the auto bailout I got my 2010 for (converting to US$ here) $17,500. New Jeeps our very expensive now up here, double what I payed 10yrs ago.

I can buy new, I just don’t. On my F150 and BMW I get 1 year old under 15k miles, usually under 10. Saves about 20-22% off, and that’s just me.
Funny, I’ll spend 7-8k on a rifle build With a crazy expensive NightForce on top, but can’t buy a new car anymore off the lot. My close friend owned 15 Ford dealerships in the Midwest he inherited from his grandpa, and he got me doing this, ha.

Son of a B, cpwolf, I have old eyeballs, is that a mounting system. We tried to fire a M14 Springfield off the top of my JK, stripped down, in the fall
OIP (3).jpg
at our rifle range. Absolute Madness. Kids do not do this.

Son of a B, cpwolf, I have old eyeballs, is that a mounting system. We tried to fire a M14 Springfield off the top of my JK, stripped down, in the fallView attachment 116674 at our rifle range. Absolute Madness. Kids do not do this.
Sounds like fun!
30.06 (7.62 mm) with an M14 is classic.

You wouldn’t put a $4,000 NoghtForce on one though, ha