Looking for side steps that work with factory Rubicon rails

trescott

I'm trying to be a good Jeep dad and would like to install side steps on a 2018 JKU Rubicon. I failed to fully research the project before ordering Rugged Ridge side steps. It was only after unboxing the product that I discovered the rubi rails would have to be removed completely in order to use the steps.

I like the look of the rubi rails, but from a practical standpoint, a side step is optimal. I've looked at ROAM's website, but only saw JL products. I have also looked at ACE, but I'm not seeing the product I want.

Does what I'm describing even exist? Or will I need to choose between the stock rubi rail and an after-market step?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Good question. I installed a grab handle on mine so I do not step on the "nerf" bar to get in & out.
The definition of side step differs from one person to the other depends on Form - Fit - Function.
Most of us do not step on the "side step" and so, for us to help, what's your purpose for a side step?

Last edited:
Interesting - I did not realize that the nerf side step is normally decorative for most. It's partially looks for us, but I've been operating under the presumption it would be an everyday use item for her getting in and out. The step is not a necessity, but I thought it would add toughness to the look as well as function.

The step is not a necessity, but I thought it would add toughness to the look as well as function.
Is your rig lifted?
I think you need a rock slider type, not a side step, unless you are only a 4 ft. tall (and fat).

Last edited:
What about something like this?

I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I have a similar question which I did not find an answer to.
We have the Rubicon sliders installed, and we like the way they 'clean up' the bottom of the body line by hiding the spot welds, etc.
1649369606184.png

We also have the need to improve access in/out of the vehicle by adding a step-type guard.

I see a couple different mounting versions, one appears to use the same mounting points as the Rubicon sliders:
1649369666046.png

while the other version appears to attach using the bolts here.
1649369750414.png
1649369791377.png

The circled bolts appear to match with the second version. The arrow shows where the Rubicon slider and the first version attach.

So the question is... Will the 2nd version fit WITH the Rubicon sliders still installed?

Your 1st version is definitely out of the question. That one uses the pinch weld as a mounting point as well. The 2nd version looks like it will mount but I think your factory sliders hang too low to get the steps where they need to be.

Reactions: WestCoastDan
Quadratec qrc has a pair of rails that work with rubi rails. $400 IIRC
I did a bit more digging, and found these as well...
Although they are a bit proud of them for what they are. We would need 2 pairs, so almost $400 for just the step portion...

Wow didn’t realize ACE prices went way out into outer space. I know the company was sold to Steinjager I believe. But wow, just wow